Wednesday, July 11, 2012

 

Figure 1: X-Wing Suit Luke Skywalker

First... the BOX:



I don't know ANYTHING about guns or ammunition. I've fired a few guns at a friend's house in the country years ago, and I have a healthy fear of their killing power. But that's it. The box belonged to my father. He was in Vietnam and also the Army Reserves for years and years after that. (He's still alive, by the way. I don't mean to make it sound like he's gone.) All the Star Wars figs of mine got put into that box, probably by him, at one point, so I just took the box when I moved out for good.

Now, the first fig, chosen comepletely by virtue of him being at the top of the pile, is... (no drumroll needed since I gave the answer in the blog post title!): X-Wing Suit Luke Skywalker!

This guy came out early in the series. Probably late Star Wars (I believe that's most likely. Not in the original 12, but in the first 18 figs, I'd bet without bothering to look it up). I was young enough to have been taken to see Star Wars by my mother and never having seen a single commercial for it. I vaguely recall thinking "Star Wars?" Of course I also recall my mother taking me to see E.T., and that title meant nothing to me either. Did I not watch commercials unless they were for sugar-filled cereals as a child???

I do recall that Luke here was a bathtub staple. He fought Vader many times in the tub. And his poor face. That is not just the result of regular wear and tear, I'm sorry to say. No, Luke here had his face carved into with a pen knife a little bit. I was trying to make him look like he'd been in a battle on Hoth, after the wampa got him. Sorry Luke. I promise I wasn't like Sid from Toy Story! I smashed a few Matchbox cars with a hammer to make them look wrecked, but I was generally careful with my toys. I just took artistic license with Luke's face.





Comments:
The new batch of figures in 1979 brought 8 new figure (9 if you count Boba Fett) and this Luke was definitely included.

As I peruse eBay listings, finding this figure without significant paint wear has been quite a challenge. No doubt the result of many X-Wing missions.
 
smacky wrote: No, Luke here had his face carved into with a pen knife a little bit. I was trying to make him look like he'd been in a battle on Hoth, after the wampa got him. Sorry Luke. I promise I wasn't like Sid from Toy Story!

You were an action figure customizer! That's pretty cool!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?