Friday, April 13, 2012

 

It's all over but the waiting

We made it through this final week. Wednesday was Henry's big prep day at the hospital: X-rays, EKG, and blood work. He was super brave, but he did cry during the blood work, and I held him (down) as they did it, which made it worse. I know he won't remember any of this (not even the surgery), but it's so tough to see him look at me crying because it hurts and he doesn't understand what's happening. But the waiting room had a separate little room with very cool toys and a TV showing cartoons and a little kid-sized sofa, so he and I made periodic visits there whenever he got too antsy to sit and listen to the endless talking of adults in white coats.

Thursday was more prep stuff in the morning, and a trip for me to a different hospital in the afternoon to do a directed donation (L and I are both A negative, so Henry is too, so I gave a pint in case he needs a transfusion). The woman working the blood bank was amazing. She said it was her retirement job and she enjoyed it. She told me all kinds of interesting things they don't tell you, like:


We have grandparents and aunts coming to town this weekend and staying for a few days through the surgery and first day of recovery in the hospital. If all goes well, he'll be home Thursday (the 19th) at the earliest.

Last night I changed him into his footie pajamas and looked at his perfect smooth little chest and thought about how soon he's going to have a scar there. But then I imagined him in 20 years explaining to his significant other what that now tiny, faded scar is and how he doesn't remember the circumstances of it at all but his parents told him he got it when the doctors made him better and it made me feel a bit better.

We just want him to recover and go back to being that little supernova ball of energy you have trouble photographing he moves so fast!


Comments:
I hope he bounces back quick. I know that it must be very difficult for you to have to go through, but know that everybody is sending your family good thoughts.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?