Monday, March 19, 2012

 

What did YOU do this weekend?

Lessee... Friday, watched the Caps lose to Winnipeg.

Saturday we went to visit Laura's father and stepmother at her stepmother's mother's house in the country (about an hour away). We stopped at Wegmans on the way, which is a super grocery store on steroids. Since it happened to be St. Patrick's Day, we picked up a selection of Irish beers along with the lunch we were bringing. As I said a few sentences ago, this woman's house is in the country. It borders a cow pasture. Since Henry had such a blast meeting goats in Pennsylvania, I figured cows would be pretty awesome too. The cows were sitting under trees, chilling in the shade in a corner of the field. Henry and I walked down the fenced perimeter. When we got as close as we could, I pointed out the cows. He looked through the fence slats at where I was pointing. I pulled a handful of grass and waved it at the cows, whistling. Amazingly, a large black cow started ambling over. She stopped a couple of feet away while Henry stared at it, wide-eyed. As I held the grass out, the cow sniffed it once, then her freaky long gray tongue popped out and she grabbed it and started chewing. Henry started picking individual blades of grass and tossing them in her direction, saying "moooooooo..."

We went back inside for lunch and the step-grandmother said she had a plastic tub of toys H. could play with. It was a GIGANTIC bin of McDonald toys. Henry amused himself for the rest of the visit digging in the bin and pulling out obscure Disney characters I couldn't name, rubber dinosaurs, and little cars. He spent almost the entire time chewing on the the head of the movie version of Wilma Flintstone. (I just looked it up. He was chewing on a figure who was supposed to be Wilma Flintstone as played by Elizabeth Perkins!)

Saturday night we had a credit for a free pay-per-view movie. We scrolled through the available titles and finally chose The Big Year:



Now, the trailer kind of tells the whole movie, so if you want to see it unspoiled, don't watch it. Then again, it's a comedy about bird watching, not the freaking Da Vinci Code, so who cares?

Sunday Henry and I ran some errands after lunch then we took a long walk around the neighborhood since winter apparently gave up completely and it continues to be in the 70s every day this month (March!?!). Laura made French onion soup for dinner, then I watched the Caps losing against the Blackhawks (you sensing a pattern here? This season has not been the best for the Caps, sigh) until I turned it over to see the finale of The Walking Dead. Huge zombie attack! FINALLY! This is where the show creators spent the season's money. After episode after episode of one or two zombies this season, we get hundreds descending on the small group of survivors. And the ending had two parts that came directly from the comics and give a big clue where they're heading next season. Yay!!!!

All in all, a good weekend. Any weekend where you can balance family visits with hockey and zombies is one I'll take!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?