Sunday, October 30, 2011

 

Halloween Weekend

Halloween used to be about the candy, then it was about the parties, then it had no meaning at all, then it was the annoying night when I had to pass out candy while the dog barked and I was trying to watch horror movies on TV.

And now? Now it's about the kids again, except I'm not the kid.

We've been to two Halloween parties this week, and it's not even Halloween yet! The kids tend to gravitate to their own size, which is hilarious to watch!

There was a children's parade scheduled in our neighborhood for Saturday afternoon, but it was snowing. Hard! Luckily they had a backup plan, and we all converged in a giant empty room at the church in the neighborhood and "partied" there. (By partied, I mean the kids ran like crazy, hopped up on candy, while the adults stood and watched.) We were given tickets when we arrived, and they had a raffle at the end. And we won. Us, the couple who didn't attend a single neighborhood event before we had our baby, won a pretty nice prize...

A bottle of champagne, two bottles of French wine, and random candy in a plastic crate. We actually had our other number called two prizes later, but I really didn't want to be an asshole, so I raised my hand and said "It's us, but we pass. Let someone else win." I don't know if everyone else appreciated the gesture. Maybe I should have grabbed another prize and ran for the door. Oh well, good karma for being a good guy.

Tomorrow evening we're treat-or-treating until the boy is too tired to continue. Then we'll eat all his candy. He's 13 months old. He doesn't get to keep it. (Cue evil laugh: AHHHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)

Comments:
"He's 13 months old. He doesn't get to keep it." -- Come on, Smack. Cut the kid some slack. On behalf of his future dentist, I thank you.
 
Err, I didn't intend to rhyme. I just figured we've been pals long enough that I could drop the "y" from your name. We're cool like that, right? But, uh, since it did rhyme, I think it should be the basis of a child-related rap song. Don't disappoint me.
 
Wait....I need to rhyme? Way to ratchet things up, Kate. How about...

Hey Smacky and Kate,
this comment is so late.
I had planned on writing
that to keep from fighting
my son became a candy list-er.
Fortunately, not so his sister...
which allowed me to....

Screw it.

Enjoy the free candy while you can. My son wrote down EVERY piece of candy he got. His sister did not. As soon as she went to her mother's house, I raided her bowl mercilessly!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?