Thursday, October 20, 2011

 

The chicken may not be chicken (anymore)

Feeling much better. I did not get it checked (and yes, it occurs to me now that that was the same "let's wait and see" attitude that killed Jim Henson!) but thankfully I'm still here. Got a flu shot on the 18th at work, so hopefully now I'm indestructible!

Something a little gross: Last night I had leftover Chinese food for dinner, and I heated it up in the microwave. We got a new microwave a few months ago, and the thing is apparently super-strong. Anyway, a few bites into it I noticed that the chicken did not taste like chicken anymore. I wondered if it was possible that the microwaves broke down the chemical composition of the meat to the point that it was no longer chicken. And if it wasn't chicken anymore, then what was it?

Yeah, it went into the trash after that train of thought. Yuck.

Comments:
I just made a noise that I do not think I can replicate here with text...and might have thrown up a little bit in my mouth.

Either way...glad you are all right....
 
(Playing post-vaca catch-up ... but this is sorta timeless.) Without a resident chemist around to bother, I turned to Google for the answer (!) and surfed over to a random journal article. (Wow, as I type that, I realize how lame and boring my choice of Internet reading material must sound.)

I find the mention of "chicken meat patties" -- followed by their post-microwave description -- absolutely hilarious. Mmm. Tasty.

"Sharma et al. (2005) also reported that chicken meat patties cooked by microwave oven were hard and have low juiciness and other organoleptic characteristics than convection oven cooked patties."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?