Tuesday, August 09, 2011
Flea Market Find
As I mentioned yesterday, I carried the baby around the flea market to see what the competition was selling. Much of it I could pass without more than a glance. Glassware, piles of Beanie Babies, random kitchen gadgets, etc. But I did manage to find two things I wanted from one dealer.
Now, I quit smoking five or six years ago and have no intention of starting again. EVER. But ashtrays from Las Vegas casinos are too dang cool to pass up! The first is from the Las Vegas Hilton (formerly the International Hotel), the hotel where Elvis played at all of his Vegas engagements. I like to think this ashtray was on a table in the ballroom while Elvis was performing. (Hey, a kid can dream, right? With at least 100 little cocktail tables in the room, each with an ashtray, it's certainly possible!) Now it holds my change!
The second is from the Sahara, one of the places the Sinatra and his Rat Pack performed! The original Ocean's Eleven was filmed there! Anyone could have used this ashtray. Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, the Chairman of the Board himself! It now holds my water glass on my desk at work.
Grand total for these two items: TWO DOLLARS. And I didn't even bargain with the guy. He just said "Dollar each." SOLD! And that's how I got a few pieces of classic Las Vegas.
Now, I quit smoking five or six years ago and have no intention of starting again. EVER. But ashtrays from Las Vegas casinos are too dang cool to pass up! The first is from the Las Vegas Hilton (formerly the International Hotel), the hotel where Elvis played at all of his Vegas engagements. I like to think this ashtray was on a table in the ballroom while Elvis was performing. (Hey, a kid can dream, right? With at least 100 little cocktail tables in the room, each with an ashtray, it's certainly possible!) Now it holds my change!
The second is from the Sahara, one of the places the Sinatra and his Rat Pack performed! The original Ocean's Eleven was filmed there! Anyone could have used this ashtray. Sammy Davis Jr, Dean Martin, the Chairman of the Board himself! It now holds my water glass on my desk at work.
