Thursday, July 14, 2011
Sigh
My wife not unkindly told me on Sunday that she was having difficulty compiling much of a list for my 40th birthday coming up in October. Sigh. "No shit," I thought to myself. I keep in touch with one high school friend (whom I see about once every three months) and a handful of others only via Facebook. Ditto with college friends. Ditto with Peace Corps friends. Everyone lives multiple time zones away. I have actually have FEWER friends now than I did when I first moved to the DC area a decade ago. They all moved away. I've had the same job for 8.5 years, so I know my coworkers very well, but not for more than gossip or pop culture BS. We don't get together after work. Everybody is married and has responsibilities. I'm not on any sports teams, nor do I have any hobbies than promote social interactions. I can count the number of real friends I have on one hand. I go to Caps games, but you don't meet people at hockey games!
This usually doesn't bother me, except on rare occasions like "I wanted to invite all your friends over. Who are they?"
Yeah... about that...
This usually doesn't bother me, except on rare occasions like "I wanted to invite all your friends over. Who are they?"
Yeah... about that...
Comments:
<< Home
I hear you.
My wife put together a shindig for my 30th which was nice. My 40th last year was...much different.
I know I am not very "social" or "sociable". I, too, have hobbies that are really solo endeavors....
"sigh" indeed....
My wife put together a shindig for my 30th which was nice. My 40th last year was...much different.
I know I am not very "social" or "sociable". I, too, have hobbies that are really solo endeavors....
"sigh" indeed....
I hear you guys loud and clear. I have a few friends from over the years -- childhood, high school, college -- with whom I "stay in touch" (meaning I see them once or twice a year). I'll shoulder some of the blame, but mostly it's just how busy we've become.
It's nice to have Facebook around to see from afar what everyone's doing these days, where they're working and how their families have grown. But it's no substitute for going out for a beer with them on a Friday night.
Speaking of which, I should really get back on task so I can start my weekend. (Insert my "sigh" here.)
It's nice to have Facebook around to see from afar what everyone's doing these days, where they're working and how their families have grown. But it's no substitute for going out for a beer with them on a Friday night.
Speaking of which, I should really get back on task so I can start my weekend. (Insert my "sigh" here.)
My wife's 40th is next month. I put up an event on Facebook and made the kid I team teach with the administrator so that he has to figure it all out!
Post a Comment
<< Home


