Monday, March 14, 2011

 

Weekend

Trying to remember this weekend. Hmmmm... Friday... Caps game on TV. They beat Carolina, keeping their streak going! Then we watched Fringe. L and I like the X-Files aspects of the show, and even the relationship between the FBI agent Olivia and the dude Peter is okay. But L finds the whole "Two universes are in danger of destroying each other" arc tedious. I hope it gets a fourth season, or there will be a LOT of story left to tell that will just get dropped.

Saturday morning we went to our first monthly "Giggles and Wiggles" play group, held at a church two blocks from our house. The second story of one of the church buildings is a HUGE open room with a gym-type floor. It's open for children age birth to five, and our boy was the youngest there by at least eight months. He can't even crawl yet, so there wasn't much chance for him to interact with the other kids (there were at least 20 other children, running around, riding bikes and pedal cars [I told you the room was HUGE]) but he loves to people watch anyway, so he had a great time observing all the kids, and many of the kids would stop and look at him too. He also had a good time with a Nerf ball and a toy truck.



After the play time (during which, oddly enough, none of the other parents spoke to us beyond "hello." I mean, I know the point is to let the children blow off some energy, but isn't that kind of strange? True, we were stuck in one place with a baby, so we couldn't approach other parents, but still, weird...) we went to get H some clothes. He's outgrown so many things that he's in 6-9 months clothes now.

He's showing so much personality now. For the first few months if he wasn't attached to a boob or sleeping I was changing his diaper. Well, I still change his diaper, but when I get home from work he looks toward me and smiles and starts flapping his arms. It's awesome.

Saturday night we watched The Spy Next Door, the latest inoffensive piece of family-friendly junk by Jackie Chan. I don't begrudge a former action star altering his M.O. as he ages, but I wish the scripts were better.

And then we lost an hour thanks to DST. The bonus for that is that the kid is sleeping an hour later and doesn't realize it. That won't last more than a few days, but it's nice.

Sunday I took the kid to Target (EXCITING) and got baby supplies. Then there was a 12:30 pm Caps game against the defending Stanley Cup champions the Chicago Blackhawks, and they beat them in overtime! The game included a sweet short-handed goal (meaning the Caps scored even with one fewer man on the ice!) so it was a great game. I held the boy in his sling and we watched the last period together standing in front of the TV.

Sunday night I went to pick up Chinese food for dinner and due to losing an hour the previous night it seems like Boom! All of a sudden it was bed time.

Bonus pic: Sitting up for over 30 minutes without falling over is tiring!

In between all these events I finished the laundry (and putting it away), washed the sheets and remade the bed, cleaned the kitchen, added items to my iPod, etc. There are still things on my "to do" list (like lopping off that giant tree limb that is hanging in the area between our and the neighbors' houses on the tree no one has made a claim to, but he's obviously never going to do anything about it, and install the room darkening shades in the baby's room) but I'm learning to live a bit and take time to spend with family and let the other things slide for now.

The hardest thing for me to adjust to with this kid is not being able to knock everything off the "to do" list as items come up. But the little guy needs my attention and in the long run he (and I) will remember the times we played more than any chore I completed. I'm learning to chill.

Comments:
Good God, Blogger really compresses the crap out of uploaded video, doesn't it? Sheesh! It looks 100 times better on my phone.
 
I love that so-tired-I'm-falling-over picture. Gold.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?