Monday, November 01, 2010

 

Weekend

My tweet Saturday night:

Funerals are more fun when you are holding a smiling baby who is oblivious to everything except how much he likes you. Sweet innocence.


And that was Saturday. We went out of town to a funeral of a family friend (technically the spouse of a family friend whom I had met exactly once). I sat in a pew near the back and held our little boy while he slept. At one point he slowly opened his eyes, looked up at me, smiled li
ke "Oh cool, you've got me," and went back to sleep. And once again I re-enacted the end of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas and my heart grew a little bigger. (Don't get me wrong, most people still suck. This little one is just cool with me.

The after-funeral (wrap party?) reception was at L's mom's house, and there was a ton of food. Awkward moment: The deceased's ex-wife (divorced over a decade ago) came to the funeral. I glanced around to make sure there were no cameramen lurking in the corners, then breathed a sigh of relief because I remembered this wasn't an episode of Real Housewives of Kilmarnock, Virginia, so it was unlikely there would be any prefabricated drama.

We came back home in the late morning and unpacked and got
ready for the trick-or-treaters (which entailed putting a skeleton from the dollar store on the front door, filling the candy bowl, and putting the dogs in one of the bedrooms with a couple of bones and a promise to let them out later).

The boy had footie PJs with pumpkins on it for the holiday.


He also had a hat with kitty ears on it, but the hat made him sad, so it didn't stay on more than the time to take a photo. Dig the matching orange binky!


This year we had a TON of kids come to the door demanding candy. I gave out all the candy we had bought (six bags) then had to find other candy in the house (emergency bag of Tootsie Rolls to the rescue!).

We finally turned out the light at 8:30 and I opened the small cooler Laura's mom had sent home with us. It contained enough shredded chicken, barbecue sauce, and coleslaw to make about 10 sandwiches! I made a great sandwich and put my feet up. The Walking Dead show premiered on AMC, and it was good. Close to the original comic, good effects, and gory as it should be. It flashed a warning before the show, and it was needed! Looking forward to next week's installment.

So for the record: People still suck but the kid gets a pass and zombies are still cool, I don't care what the jaded hipsters might say.



Comments:
Love the pumpkin pjs as well as the look of contemplation on his face.....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?