Thursday, October 28, 2010

 

Thursday State of Mind

Don't have a lot going on that's not routine. I took a sick day yesterday to take care of the baby while the little woman went to a military conference and schmoozed (I still have over 60 days of sick leave and one day of schmoozing with the right people can mean business for her company, while a day at my job is normally sitting in front of a computer and maybe saying five words to another living person, so it was a no-brainer to take the day).

This is the framed photo that is sitting on my desk at work.
(Wow, I did a good job of getting the frame centered in the pic!)


What else? One of my favorite Caps hockey players is Matt Bradley. He's a funny guy in interviews, a great player who makes the flashier players look even better by opening opportunities for them, and he and his wife had a kid late last year, so we're in similar situations (except I'm not a hockey player... cough). Anywho, hockey jerseys aren't the cheapest things on the planet. The can cost $160 to almost $200. Enter everyone's best friend e-bay. That's where I was able to score this:
A new jersey with tags still on it, signed by Matt Bradley himself (and I've seen his real signature enough times to know it's the real deal). I was the only bidder, so I got it for under $100, shipping included. I really think the seller lost money on this auction, but I am not sad for her!


Finally, when you spend hours at a time holding a sleeping kid, your options for entertainment are somewhat limited. You can surf the web, but with only one hand free it gets tedious typing. You can watch TV, but hours and hours and hours of TV just makes me feel brain dead. Or you can read. What is good to read? Something engaging that you don't have to concentrate to much on, preferably in paperback, since you'll be holding it with one hand. Something such as this:
It's the (second) "official" sequel to the Terminator Salvation movie. From what I understand, the movie was not a big enough hit to merit a sequel, even though it was originally envisioned as a trilogy, so these novels are the only way the storyline will be continued. I'm sure Terminator will eventually be back on the big screen, but it will be a different story. I hope it's never going to be a "reboot" with some pro-wrestler as the machine and some "flavor of the week" actress playing Sarah Connor. Yuck! But on the bright side, Zahn is a good author (Hugo Award winner) with a knack for writing stories about original characters that take place in established universes, such as the Star Wars universe. And I can read it while holding a baby, so, bonus!

Comments:
Such a cute baby! But how on earth do you have two months sick leave?
 
(1) Being at the same job for 8 years, you accrue a LOT of sick leave.

(2) It's a nonprofit, so instead of a big paycheck, I get crazy benefits like that.
 
I will admit to liking all of the Terminator sequels AND Timothy Zahn's Star Wars books, so it looks like I have a new title to add to Goodreads...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?