Monday, August 02, 2010

 

Weekend roundup

The movie Thursday night was fun. Going alone is a little odd, but it's not my fault I don't know any Elvis fans my age. The guy died when I was like 5!


The movie was playing at the mall a mile up the street from our house, so that was convenient. It also happens to be the home of the Kettler Complex. They built a giant building on top of the parking garage that houses two ice rinks. It's the practice rink of the Washington Capitals. Practices are open to the public and free (how cool is that?). I've been to one and posted pics somewhere on my blog. I'm taking a better camera the next time I go. Anyway, there's a three-story banner hanging in the mall that looks like a Caps jersey.

Saturday I dropped Laura off at the spa (previous post) and cleaned some at home. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is week 34, meaning about 36 days to go until the little guy arrives! Now that our bedroom has carpet and all the furniture moved back in, we're feeling a LOT more calm about it. Laura's baby shower is this coming Sunday, which means more gifts and more things for me to assemble. Saturday night Laura wanted to go to a nice dinner (since soon we won't be doing that without hiring a baby sitter first!), so we went to a steakhouse called Wildfire. Yum.

Yesterday (Sunday) was the Dunn Loring comic show, and I went to that alone too (thanks De! Just kidding, not your fault. Or was it? You went to brunch in Fredericksburg?) . I had two big scores: One guy had recently bought a huge collection and had set up a ton of boxes with comics marked 50 cents each. Inside one box I found a complete run of Jack Kirby's '70s return to Captain America! These issues are usually between $3 and $10 each. I picked up all 25 issues. Yay!

Then on the way home I stopped at Unique Thrift Store (Ignore the bad reviews. Those people are either snobs are just plain stupid). The place is HUGE. I stopped on a whim once before because it's a few blocks from the comic show, so this time I knew the layout. I went straight to where I had seen a rack of hockey jerseys last time (when all they had were weird community teams and little league jerseys). This time I stumbled on a great find:


A Washington Capitals jersey in the old style the team wore from 1997 to 2004! These things are TOUGH to find at a descent price, even on ebay (here's one for $200). This one is in like-new condition and I got it for $15! WOW!

After relaxing yesterday afternoon, I made dinner for us and went to sleep before Mad Men came on (we recorded it to watch tonight)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?