Friday, July 16, 2010
Thursday Thrifting
Had a doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon and stopped at the Goodwill store next door. You know I bought something, so let's have a look!
(1) Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. HORRIBLE, cliched name for a book, but when I showed it to Laura, she said the author was a respected doctor, so I chose wisely.
(2) AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to the Architecture of Washington, D.C. This book is awesome. Broken down by neighborhood, it gives a photo, the architect, year it was built, and background behind both the design and implementation. Example: The site for the Lincoln Memorial (built in 1911) was still swampland at the time! The senator from Illinois said, "I will NEVER let it be built on that SWAMP!"
(3) A 45 (with picture sleeve!) of "Burning Flame" by Vitamin Z. A one-hit wonder (a one-NEAR-hit wonder, really, as it barely made the top 40). I loved this song back in the day, and at 50 cents, it was a bargain! Don't know/remember the song? Listen to it (and watch the video in all its '80s glory) here!
(4) Elvis 56. The organizing principle of Elvis 56 is simple: that's the year Presley recorded these 22 tracks (description from Amazon). C'mon! This is the year Elvis made his mark, became a star, and began his ascension to become "The King." 22 songs that straddle the line between rockabilly and what would be known as rock 'n roll! ($2, baby!)
(5) I paid $2 for this picture frame, not so much for the frame (though it is nice) but for what is inside it. It's a signed photo of G. Love! I wasn't sure it was real (though why would someone fake G. Love's signature?), but yep, it's signed in ink (and has additional writing by him on the back!) It matches the signature (and his same guitar) here. What a random(ly awesome) thing to find at Goodwill!
(2) AIA (American Institute of Architects) Guide to the Architecture of Washington, D.C. This book is awesome. Broken down by neighborhood, it gives a photo, the architect, year it was built, and background behind both the design and implementation. Example: The site for the Lincoln Memorial (built in 1911) was still swampland at the time! The senator from Illinois said, "I will NEVER let it be built on that SWAMP!"
(3) A 45 (with picture sleeve!) of "Burning Flame" by Vitamin Z. A one-hit wonder (a one-NEAR-hit wonder, really, as it barely made the top 40). I loved this song back in the day, and at 50 cents, it was a bargain! Don't know/remember the song? Listen to it (and watch the video in all its '80s glory) here!
(4) Elvis 56. The organizing principle of Elvis 56 is simple: that's the year Presley recorded these 22 tracks (description from Amazon). C'mon! This is the year Elvis made his mark, became a star, and began his ascension to become "The King." 22 songs that straddle the line between rockabilly and what would be known as rock 'n roll! ($2, baby!)
(5) I paid $2 for this picture frame, not so much for the frame (though it is nice) but for what is inside it. It's a signed photo of G. Love! I wasn't sure it was real (though why would someone fake G. Love's signature?), but yep, it's signed in ink (and has additional writing by him on the back!) It matches the signature (and his same guitar) here. What a random(ly awesome) thing to find at Goodwill!
Comments:
<< Home
Baby whisperer?! Respected doctor or no, that's pretty hilarious.
How was the appointment? You don't have malaria, do you?
How was the appointment? You don't have malaria, do you?
I don't like that music video. Everyone's shooting emotion-filled glances at everyone else, but no one will stop playing the song. This leaves me angry and confused.
Post a Comment
<< Home

