Friday, February 13, 2009

 

Vulture in the mirror

The facts:

(1) I've had the same computer at work since I started here six years ago. It wasn't new then.

(2) The IT department told me I was next in line for a new computer, but the department is on a spending freeze at the moment.

(3) A colleague in my department got a new computer three months ago.

(4) This colleague quit out of the blue on Wednesday.

(5) You see where I'm going with this?


Yeah, so Laura had kidney stone surgery on Tuesday, and I took Tuesday and Wednesday off to take care of her. While I was out, some drama went down at the office, and a coworker was gone when I returned. Three hours after learning about it, and after my computer crashed for the 10,542 time, I went to my supervisor and said "This might sound predatory but..." and by the end of the day ex-colleague's new computer had my files on it and was in my office.

I did feel a bit like a vulture, but honestly, should I continue to use a 10-year-old computer that crashes if you try to do two things on it at once, while whoever they hire to replace former colleague gets a new computer?

As if!

We have a three-day weekend coming up, but we're likely staying in town, since wife had surgery a few days ago and all that. I think I'll make breakfast in bed for her on Saturday, it being Valentine's Day (though it's a stupid made-up holiday), and just chill. Probably a trip to the dog park too.

I'm tempted to see the remake of Friday the 13th. Anyone like horror movies, besides my sister-in-law? She'd be great to see it with, but unfortunately she's far too lazy to drive the 45 minutes to come down and see it.

Upcoming music releases that interest me:


Wow, it's been quite a while since I was tempted to buy a new release. The last CD purchase I made was a used Paul McCartney from 1993.

Yes, I'm old, with an old person's taste in music. Don't judge me.

Comments:
What operating system was your old computer running? Please don't say ME.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?