Monday, January 12, 2009
Update much, bitch?
Yeah, I am becoming a blog slacker. But I'm still twittering and on Facebook. Let's do a proper update here, shall we?
Starting second week back at work, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how much I've accomplished in six days of work. Lots of projects moving forward. Yay!
We have a four-day weekend coming up, with MLK Day and the city shutdown (pretty much literally) for the inauguration the next day, with streets closed and millions wandering around to get a glimpse of Obama. We're staying in town, after deciding trying to return Tuesday would probably be a nightmare. I guess we'll stock up on food and beer and watch the inauguration on TV, which is a little ironic since we live about eight miles from the White House.
What am I reading? Well, thanks for asking. I'm reading this:
This is a THICK book (about 400 pages) made up of interviews with three guys who were "cronies" of Elvis, basically working for and kissing his ass his entire life. Needless to say, they saw a lot and heard a lot, working and traveling with him. I'm going to save comments about it until I finish, but so far the book seems honest without being fawning, revealing without being grotesque. One of the three guys (Billy Smith) was Elvis's first cousin. That had to be a strange situation, answering to your cousin's every need.
I'm really curious to find out what these guys did after Elvis died and their decades-long jobs of taking care of Elvis were gone. Did they get regular jobs? The adjustment period had to be freaky, when you're used to staying in penthouse suites in Vegas, traveling by private jet, and basically living with Elvis in Graceland.
Starting second week back at work, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how much I've accomplished in six days of work. Lots of projects moving forward. Yay!
We have a four-day weekend coming up, with MLK Day and the city shutdown (pretty much literally) for the inauguration the next day, with streets closed and millions wandering around to get a glimpse of Obama. We're staying in town, after deciding trying to return Tuesday would probably be a nightmare. I guess we'll stock up on food and beer and watch the inauguration on TV, which is a little ironic since we live about eight miles from the White House.
What am I reading? Well, thanks for asking. I'm reading this:
This is a THICK book (about 400 pages) made up of interviews with three guys who were "cronies" of Elvis, basically working for and kissing his ass his entire life. Needless to say, they saw a lot and heard a lot, working and traveling with him. I'm going to save comments about it until I finish, but so far the book seems honest without being fawning, revealing without being grotesque. One of the three guys (Billy Smith) was Elvis's first cousin. That had to be a strange situation, answering to your cousin's every need.I'm really curious to find out what these guys did after Elvis died and their decades-long jobs of taking care of Elvis were gone. Did they get regular jobs? The adjustment period had to be freaky, when you're used to staying in penthouse suites in Vegas, traveling by private jet, and basically living with Elvis in Graceland.

