Friday, January 30, 2009

 

This is just freaky

I get really creeped out by stories like the woman who "miraculously" had eight children (That's the miracle of irresponsible science, folks). Because either they turn out to be religious nuts thinking God wants them to have a ton of kids, or something like this:

Mother of octuplets already had six children at home. What the hell...? The children at home range in age from 7 to 2. She has six children at home and was on fertility drugs. She lives with her mother and her husband is a contract worker making periodic trips to Iraq (and apparently coming home once a year to impregnate his wife).

I'm all for personal freedom, but I'm also a big believer in personal responsibility. If you're a billionaire and want to have 14 children, fine, get 14 nannies to raise them (Don't tell me love is more important than money in raising 14 kids. In this case, you'd better have lots of BOTH). If you have six children and live with your mother, and your mother's house doesn't have at least 8 and 10 bedrooms, you should probably just raise the six you've got. Don't take fertility drugs to have more.

I can't understand the mindset. Does she have that mental disorder that makes you always need to be holding a baby, so when one gets too old you need to have another?

Is she starting a football team?

She's only 30. Is she going to have more children later? She's still physically capable.

I wonder if the father's insurance covered the seven weeks the mother had to stay in the hospital before giving birth, after she refused to selectively abort any of the fetuses that "took." I wonder if his insurance is covering the TWO nurses who are caring for each child (What must 16 nurses cost per day???) for the next seven weeks they have to stay in the hospital. My wife got one scan and it cost $1,900. (Thank goodness for insurance.) If one scan is $1,900, 7 weeks of medical care for a mother plus 7 weeks for eight children must total close to $1,000,000. Seriously. SIXTEEN NURSES just for this family!

Yes, I'm hinting I would be really pissed if I lived in California and discovered my taxes were footing the bill for this woman's decision to have this many children.

I would also investigate the doctor who approved fertility drugs for a mother of six.

I'm not being sexist. The father of the children should definitely support these FOURTEEN children. I'm also not being racist. I don't know what race or religion they are, and don't care. It makes no difference.
Just because science now allows you to have a litter, it doesn't mean you should.

Comments:
I'm floored by this story. I've been hearing about it all week, and just...Jesus! I think somebody has seen too many episodes of Jon and Kate Plus Eight, and is hoping for their own shitty TLC TV show.
 
I think your $1,000,000 estimate is about right. Miriya was in the hospital for a week (four days in NICU) and the bill was over $14,000. My co-pay was $200.

When I turned on the TV today, evidently Discovery was having a mini-marathon about the Duggars. Those people scare me. The 20th kid was born earlier this year. Gah!
 
Interesting follow-up about how the woman's mother feels about all this. Link here.

From the story: While her daughter recovers, Angela Suleman is taking care of the other six children, ages 2 through 7, at the family home in Whittier, about 15 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. She said she warned her daughter that when she gets home from the hospital, "I'm going to be gone."
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?