Monday, January 05, 2009

 

New Year, more pics

This won't be a long post looking back, or ahead for that matter. I'm back in the office after a glorious two weeks out, and I need to clear some crap off my desk. But i wanted to take a minute to post a few more pics, in no particular order:

For a crappy camera phone pic, it still captures a small slice of an amazing sky.
(12/29/07 in Richmond, VA)

Since I was looking up, I decided to look down too. I've always liked this brick design.
(12/29/07 in Richmond, VA; One second after taking the sky pic)


After playing my in-law's Guitar Hero game, my wife and mother-in-law decided we needed to get the game to keep at the river. They got the version for the Wii, which rather ingeniously has a hollow space in the back of the guitar where the remote slips in. Now everyone who comes to visit will be forced to play or sing. You've been warned.


One neat little thing I received from my mother-in-law was a deck of cards from the Treasure Island casino (Apologies for the slight out-of-focus shot. The plastic wrap is making it hard to auto-focus with my cell phone.) The deck was used on the casino floor and retired (most likely after one day of use). The casinos then either cut a corner off all the cards in the deck or mark them in some way, then sell them. Ebay lists hundreds of auctions and sales for bulk decks. People sometimes complain you can't play with the cards if they're marked, but they've really missed the point. You don't buy the deck to play with, and it's unlikely I'll ever open the deck since that would also remove the sticker that says "This Deck of Cards Was Used in Actual Play in This Fabulous Casino." No, I don't know why they used title caps.

Finally, the tradition of the "drama" comic strips climaxing with a death around the holidays continued this year, though the actual death was January 3, 2008. Still, what a death! Dixie the "exotic dancer" lunges at the leather halter top-wearing female cop with a knife and gets no less than seven rounds for her trouble, while lawyer Sam Driver watches stone-faced. Happy New Year, kids!!! Sucide by cop. It's what's for dinner.

Comments:
That sky shot looks kind of like cloud claws.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?