Monday, August 11, 2008

 

Wonder Dog

I have a few posts about this weekend, but this one will be about how smart our dog is. We were down at the river, out in the country, and at 4am Saturday morning, I was awoken by what sounded like a dog hyperventilating. It was Lexi, and she was standing by the bed looking at me and breathing in and out through her nose very fast.

"What is it?" I asked.
The hero

I got up to see what had gotten her so excited, and I found the front door open. The German shepherd of my mother-in-law that we have been watching for what feels like forever had opened the door and run out. A quick look around confirmed our pup Kirby was gone too. We called for them, but there was only silence for what seemed like miles around. I grabbed the car keys and started down the driveway, knowing the German shepherd would be compelled to run up to the car barking. Like clockwork, the shepherd popped out of the woods between two neighbors' houses, Kirby trailing behind. I got them in the car and drove home, making sure all the doors were locked before going back to bed.


The Escapee

Lexi, rather than jumping at the chance at freedom to explore, woke me up to tell on her brother. She's the Cindy Brady of the dog world. She was so excited to see them come back, and was so proud of what she did. We just need to work on how she tells us these things. A bark or two would have been faster.

Comments:
Lexi - Lassie? Sounds similar enough. At least you're set if anyone falls down a well.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?