Monday, August 04, 2008

 

More middle-class guilt

I'm so conflicted by Wal-Mart. On one level, I understand that Wal-Mart is a very big reason stores I used to like such as Tower Records, Sun Coast, and Kay Bee Toys are gone (or barely alive). On the other hand, I needed a new floor lamp, and the cheapest one at Target was $40. At Wal-Mart, there was a big display of floor lamps for... $7.50. SEVEN DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS.

How the heck can anyone compete with that? Johnny's Lamp Emporium just crapped its pants and slapped up a "going out of business" sign, because I bought the cheap lamp. The mind-bogglingly cheap lamp. The lamp that cost $3 less than the 16-pack of AA batteries I bought. BATTERIES COST MORE THAN A LAMP.

In other news, it looks like I'll have lots of time to read the stack of books awaiting me, since Laura is going to demand that the TV be All Olympics All the Time, including Tivoing events while we sleep. NBC will be showing it all on seven different networks. They promise to show everything, even if it's at 3am on CNBC (which no one watches. I used to watch the John MacEnroe Show on that channel, but it only lasted about seven weeks).

Comments:
I try to avoid Wal-Mart when I can, but sometimes, that blue sign sucks me in, too.
 
Money is a little tight right now so Wal-Mart is, unfortunately, the first place I go.

I'm pulling a Jimmy Carter and am boycotting the Olympics this year. I wonder if there's a new event to see how many journalists they can throw in jail and torture or maybe there's one where they shoot human targets in Tibet. The Olympics is something I can avoid, unlike just about everything sold in America.
 
Yeah, it's amazing what people of the world are willing to overlook, huh? How is Iran testing weapons worse than the occupation of Tibet? Oh right, we need things from China, so we mutter about human rights, then look the other way.
 
I am seriously tight when it comes to money, so I frequent Walmart. And as much as I'm troubled with the Olympics being in China, I can't pass up watching the gymnastics.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?