Monday, June 30, 2008
Two days, bitches!
We're taking Wednesday, Thursday, and next Monday off, so I'm looking at a 2-day work week (aforementioned bitches).
We went to an Obama house party Saturday afternoon, which sounds a lot more raucous than it was, I assure you. Kid-n-Play weren't even there, so it definitely was not 2 Hype. This was a meeting of like-minded folks discussing political-type stuff. My wife lives for this stuff, so I tagged along.
I stopped by a yard sale in the neighborhood Saturday morning as I was out walking one of the dogs, but all they were selling was sadness. Truly, the stuff wasn't worth more than a passing glance. You'd think people about our age would have neater stuff (like I imagine Kate and Paul will have at their sale), but I guess the coolest stuff is often at the sales from folks with 100 years of junk, where stuff has gone from crap to retro-cool. This stuff was firmly in the crap stage.

Saturday I watched Survival, featuring the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and his companion Ace (Sophie Alred, who I recently learned was actually 26, though she was playing a 16-year-old!). It was the last story of the original 26-year run of Doctor Who in England, but it was not the last one filmed (that was Ghost Light). It's a good story, with the Master (who made a brilliant return in season 3 of the new Doctor Who series). You'd think guys dressed as giant cats and riding horses would look unbelievably goofy, but they pulled it off and made them menacing. The DVD release includes a ton of extras, including discussions about the series being canceled, what they had been planning to do in the 27th season, and a panel discussion from a convention a few years after the show was canceled.
Reading Atom Bomb Blues, which, though published in 2005, tells a new story starring the seventh Doctor and Ace. Interestingly, it was the last in the long running "Past Doctor Adventures" by BBC Books. Begun in 1996, the series included nearly 150 original novels and included stories starring all the previous Doctors, including the eighth (who only got one on-screen appearance, an American-made television movie that failed to restart the franchise, which is a shame since Paul McGann would have been a fun doctor to watch). The series was canceled to concentrate on the current Doctor and his companion(s). So this would make the second medium in which the seventh Doctor and Ace were the last to appear. Kinda sad in a way.
We went to an Obama house party Saturday afternoon, which sounds a lot more raucous than it was, I assure you. Kid-n-Play weren't even there, so it definitely was not 2 Hype. This was a meeting of like-minded folks discussing political-type stuff. My wife lives for this stuff, so I tagged along.
I stopped by a yard sale in the neighborhood Saturday morning as I was out walking one of the dogs, but all they were selling was sadness. Truly, the stuff wasn't worth more than a passing glance. You'd think people about our age would have neater stuff (like I imagine Kate and Paul will have at their sale), but I guess the coolest stuff is often at the sales from folks with 100 years of junk, where stuff has gone from crap to retro-cool. This stuff was firmly in the crap stage.

Saturday I watched Survival, featuring the seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy) and his companion Ace (Sophie Alred, who I recently learned was actually 26, though she was playing a 16-year-old!). It was the last story of the original 26-year run of Doctor Who in England, but it was not the last one filmed (that was Ghost Light). It's a good story, with the Master (who made a brilliant return in season 3 of the new Doctor Who series). You'd think guys dressed as giant cats and riding horses would look unbelievably goofy, but they pulled it off and made them menacing. The DVD release includes a ton of extras, including discussions about the series being canceled, what they had been planning to do in the 27th season, and a panel discussion from a convention a few years after the show was canceled.
Reading Atom Bomb Blues, which, though published in 2005, tells a new story starring the seventh Doctor and Ace. Interestingly, it was the last in the long running "Past Doctor Adventures" by BBC Books. Begun in 1996, the series included nearly 150 original novels and included stories starring all the previous Doctors, including the eighth (who only got one on-screen appearance, an American-made television movie that failed to restart the franchise, which is a shame since Paul McGann would have been a fun doctor to watch). The series was canceled to concentrate on the current Doctor and his companion(s). So this would make the second medium in which the seventh Doctor and Ace were the last to appear. Kinda sad in a way.Labels: bitches, Doctor Who, Obama
Comments:
<< Home
Are you waiting for the SciFi Channel episodes of the curent season? Em and I caught "Turn left" and "Stolen Earth" yesterday and holy crap! Saturday cannot come soon enough!
Yep, I'm watching SciFi showings. I'd rather wait and watch on big tv than on computer screen.
And yes, I'm avoiding spoilers!
Post a Comment
And yes, I'm avoiding spoilers!
<< Home

