Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Simple, simple, simple
So Obama is finally the clear choice... the "presumptive nominee." McCain celebrated by making a rousing speech attacking and mocking him. You think Hillary will be the VP candidate? I'm torn. On one hand, she can bring her supporters over to the ticket (except the kooks who said they'd vote for McCain if Hillary didn't get the nod), but on the other hand, it's hard to get things done when you're praying daily for Obama's death or alien abduction, which she'd likely be doing.
Insiders are saying she's very interested in the VP spot (foot in the door beats being a complete outsider and all that), but she may just want to be asked so she can say she turned it down, which would really be selfish and divide the party further, so I hope she doesn't do that.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I've been listening to early Simple Minds records recently. If you only know them from "Don't You Forget About Me" you'll be surprised at how different they sounded a few releases earlier. The next few releases after their Breakfast Club hit found them chasing American stardom, I feel, and they sound like they're trying to be U2 circa "Joshua Tree." But after they accepted they'd likely not conquer America, they dropped the arena pretensions and started making music for themselves again. The band's lineup has flipped and rotated over the years (I saw two former members in a different band on an American club tour about a year ago), but all the original members are supposedly reuniting for a European tour to celebrate their 30th anniversary(!).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm reading A Simple Plan by Scott Smith, which I picked up because I liked his latest novel , The Ruins. It was the basis for a movie of the same name, directed by Sam Raimi (1998). Amazon gives it great reviews, so I'll have to watch it after I finish the book.
Hey, I only just now noticed the "simple" thread running through this post. Duh!
Insiders are saying she's very interested in the VP spot (foot in the door beats being a complete outsider and all that), but she may just want to be asked so she can say she turned it down, which would really be selfish and divide the party further, so I hope she doesn't do that.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I've been listening to early Simple Minds records recently. If you only know them from "Don't You Forget About Me" you'll be surprised at how different they sounded a few releases earlier. The next few releases after their Breakfast Club hit found them chasing American stardom, I feel, and they sound like they're trying to be U2 circa "Joshua Tree." But after they accepted they'd likely not conquer America, they dropped the arena pretensions and started making music for themselves again. The band's lineup has flipped and rotated over the years (I saw two former members in a different band on an American club tour about a year ago), but all the original members are supposedly reuniting for a European tour to celebrate their 30th anniversary(!).* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I'm reading A Simple Plan by Scott Smith, which I picked up because I liked his latest novel , The Ruins. It was the basis for a movie of the same name, directed by Sam Raimi (1998). Amazon gives it great reviews, so I'll have to watch it after I finish the book.Hey, I only just now noticed the "simple" thread running through this post. Duh!
