Wednesday, June 11, 2008
"Join or die"
The heat broke yesterday evening, as storms rolled through around 9pm. Unfortunately we were trying to watch a DVD, and the power flickered off twice, making the DVD start from the beginning again. But it's 20 degrees cooler today, so can't complain.
We finally got to start watching the John Adams miniseries that was on
HBO (We bought the DVD set, since we only have the basic Direct TV package. No fancy pay-TV movie stations for us!). I had no idea Adams was a lawyer who defended the British soldiers who took part in the "Boston massacre." It never occurred to me to consider what happened to those soldiers. Adams was quite the Johnny Cochran of 1770! We're going to do an episode a night, though the temptation is there to watch them all in a marathon sitting. But I think we'll enjoy it more if we take breaks and think about it between episodes. Afterward, when we were discussing it, I mentioned how when his cousin was questioning his patriotism, he should have put on a Massachusetts colony lapel pin (like Obama's flag pin "controversy" of today). Oh, and the term "tarred and feathered"? I never gave it much thought, but DAMN I'll bet that hurts!
The series is very well done, with many scenes filmed in Williamsburg for authentic sets from the time period. Looking forwards to part 2 tonight.
+8+8+8+8+8=8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+
Currently reading...
I picked this up when it was released in hardback in September for less than half price, thanks to credit and a coupon. I'm only now starting it because... I guess because I'm a lame ass and I kept putting it off and reading other books. It's the eighth book featuring Agent Pendergast (Read his very interesting backstory here). Like the other books, it has elements of mystery, suspense, horror, history, geography, etc.
All books by the writing team of Preston and Child are recommended.
We finally got to start watching the John Adams miniseries that was on
HBO (We bought the DVD set, since we only have the basic Direct TV package. No fancy pay-TV movie stations for us!). I had no idea Adams was a lawyer who defended the British soldiers who took part in the "Boston massacre." It never occurred to me to consider what happened to those soldiers. Adams was quite the Johnny Cochran of 1770! We're going to do an episode a night, though the temptation is there to watch them all in a marathon sitting. But I think we'll enjoy it more if we take breaks and think about it between episodes. Afterward, when we were discussing it, I mentioned how when his cousin was questioning his patriotism, he should have put on a Massachusetts colony lapel pin (like Obama's flag pin "controversy" of today). Oh, and the term "tarred and feathered"? I never gave it much thought, but DAMN I'll bet that hurts!The series is very well done, with many scenes filmed in Williamsburg for authentic sets from the time period. Looking forwards to part 2 tonight.
+8+8+8+8+8=8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+8+
Currently reading...
I picked this up when it was released in hardback in September for less than half price, thanks to credit and a coupon. I'm only now starting it because... I guess because I'm a lame ass and I kept putting it off and reading other books. It's the eighth book featuring Agent Pendergast (Read his very interesting backstory here). Like the other books, it has elements of mystery, suspense, horror, history, geography, etc.All books by the writing team of Preston and Child are recommended.
