Tuesday, April 08, 2008

 

Sheesh.

As a comic book writer, Brian Michael Bendis is good at getting people talking. He likes writing "EVENTS" (Avengers Disassembled, for instance, in which he managed to kill three Avengers and drive one batshit insane). He once bragged about how an upcoming storyline would "crack the internet in half." (Wow, I can't believe how easy it was to find the original utterance. The first result of a "crack the internet in half" Google search is Bendis saying it in 2005 HERE.)

Anyway, he writes a lot of dialogue. A LOT. Sometimes nothing happens for pages and pages. Bendis gets in the zone and he's writing a conversation between Spider-Man and Luck Cage that reads like Quentin Tarantino on a three-day caffeine bender. He is sometimes criticized for changing characterization for the sake of shoe-horning in a good quip. Currently, it's the gem below, from Mighty Avengers #11:


NICE.

As you can imagine, folks are abuzz. "When Fangirls Attack," the blog that describes itself as, "A Compilation of Articles on Gender in Comics and Comics Fandom," has links to what others are saying (some interesting and some amusing. I never knew so many women kept up with comics. Yay!)



I agree with the general consensus: Dr. Doom is a villain, an egotistical asshole, and it's not out of character to see women as items to be used. But he doesn't talk like that. He doesn't curse to be edgy. He's a genius dictator. Why would he need to talk like that? To impress someone? Doom does not impress. He awes! (See how easy it is to do "Doomspeak?" Just sound like a jerk full of hot air. It's not necessary to say whore, cow, etc.)

I hope no one in the "mainstream" media sees it. We don't need Hillary Clinton doing a tirade about the bad influence comics have on our children. They did that in the 1950s. Don't need to do it again. Besides, kids don't read comics. Comics cost way too much for kids to buy them; kids hardly read anymore, and if they did, it would be Harry Potter, not a comic book.

We already know everything the government gets involved in turns to crap. Old white men who don't understand how things work making decisions about how it should be regulated. Not smart. See Ted Stevens describing the internet as "a series of tubes." The man was born in 1923. I'm not saying that someone really, really old can't understand "new" technology, but he's clearly an example of that. He's also the subject of an FBI corruption investigation and tried to get funding for his "bridge to nowhere." He might not have a Victor Von Doom-sized ego, but he's clearly an asshole.

Comments:
It sucks that kids don't read these days. They'll read web-based comics with inappropriate content for people under 18, but things like Marvel Comics get left in the dust.

I know it's not great literary work, but I like Harry Potter! Not as much as more classic work like The Great Gatsby or The Catcher in the Rye, but it's still pretty awesome.
 
I wish the media would stop kicking video games, too. I think it's good for kids to get out that violence fictionally, don't you?
 
http://www.boneville.com/wp-content/uploads/SSsigningLine.jpg
http://www.boneville.com/wp-content/uploads/SSsigningPink.jpg
http://www.boneville.com/wp-content/uploads/SSsigningStar.jpg
http://www.boneville.com/wp-content/uploads/SSdrawing.jpg
Kids don't read comics huh? I think the problem is more Marvel and DC don't make many comics for kids, and the comics they do make aren't pushed enough (PowerPack is the shit :D). I work at a book store and both Bone and Amulet (Kazu Kibuishi) fly off the independent readers shelves. Not to mention Captain Underpants and Baby Mouse for the youner readers. But stuff like Mighty avengers, despite being labled all ages, is not for kids. I'm not even talking content wise (though it would be an interesting conversation with a seven year old explaining why Doom thinks Ms. Marvel a whore and why she's okay with showing the world her wedgie). As an adult I have trouble keeping track of everything going on in these universes, imagining trying to keep my little brother straight on who's a skrull and who came back from the dead this month would be pretty much useless. Which sucks not just because I would love to get him interested in comics personally, but also because the companies are shooting themselves in the feet. These kids are their future customers, and they're pretty much ingnoring them. Meanwhile every tweleve year old with spare cash is sporting a Naruto headband and not giving superheroes a second thought.
 
It's interesting to see just how permeant memory has become in our everyday lives. It's like everywhere I turn, I see something with a card slot or USB jack . I guess it makes sense though, considering how inexpensive memory has become as of late...

Gahhhhh... who am I to complain. I can't make it through a single day without using my R4 / R4i!

(Submitted from R4Post for R4i Nintendo DS.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?