Monday, March 17, 2008

 

Punch-drunk and testy

Wow, I discovered I can be a little bitch when I don't get enough sleep. Friday night, between the cats climbing on me and the new dog's excitement each time one of the cats did that, I was awoken about every hour from midnight to 7am, when I finally got up for good. Sleep like that doesn't help your body. There's no time to enter the deep sleep mode your mind needs to process the events of the day and go into "sleep" mode. Saturday morning I felt as if I'd spent the night trying to sleep on a cross-country bus. A bus full of skittish animals. Plus Kirby, being a puppy, hasn't learned that you don't bite everything around you, including the cats and me.

So even though we had a perfectly nice day together, I snapped at my wife when we got lost going to a deli we had heard of (an authentic NY deli run by a NYC transplant). The pastrami sandwich I got was amazing, by the way. I'll try to recall the name of the place.

Sunday morning Laura demanded I sleep in, got all the animals out of the room, and woke me up two hours later to a big breakfast. What a difference a day makes. I was in a much better mood all day. On the home improvement front, all I did was install new blinds in the guest bedroom where the cats have taken refuge. We (the two humans in the house) spent the afternoon hanging out, reading and relaxing. In the late afternoon I attempted to watch the documentary on disc 2 of the Blade Runner box set... and promptly fell asleep. The gentle tones of Ridley Scott were like a bedtime story being read to me.


I'm optimistic about this week, and I know I'm lucky to have someone who can remember the good in me, even when I'm showing my worst.

Comments:
I know what you mean about the repercussions of not getting enough sleep. One night when Em was still in hospital, Arf and Zoe woke up constantly and barked at everything. Needless to say, I was fit to be tied upon arriving at the hospital after work that day.
 
I hate not getting enough sleep. I've been known to tell total strangers to F off.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?