Wednesday, February 06, 2008
The part in the game of Life where you come to a fork in the road...
A few things:
(1) Wanting to see a woman become president is not a good enough reason to vote for Hillary. Sorry. She tries to be all things to all people. This morning I heard her say she's the candidate that will be ready to lead "from day one." She's implying that if 9/11 part 2 happens on the day the new president is sworn in, she's the one who can... I don't know... stop it? Is that what she's trying to say? That she has the foresight and strength to stop it? Unless she has latent super powers we don't know about, that's an absurd claim. And one extra term in Congress isn't enough to claim to be the candidate "with experience." That's like the twin claiming the big bedroom because she's older by 30 seconds.
(2) I'm having a minor bout of anxiety with no clear cause. Part of it is work related. When things are going really smoothly, I start expecting the other shoe to drop (upside my head). I think some time on the treadmill will help me burn it off, if only I didn't come home and nap with the pets until dinner. I've done that four times after work recently. I used to never take naps.
(3) I just lied in #2. The anxiety is almost entirely work related. A position opened in the company and I've been evaluating my professional career as a result. I'm very, very happy in my current position. But shouldn't I want to move up? Take on more responsibility, attend more meetings, manage people, and pore over budgets? Isn't the American dream to get a new title every few years, with many more duties and not much more money? The new position is managerial and not editorial, so it would be an enormous change. Since I know I have a rather well hidden dislike of authority, do I really want to attend weekly meetings reporting on my department's every move? I have so much autonomy right now. We're left alone to do our jobs and the results appear as books every season. It doesn't help that my colleagues have said to me that I would be great at the job and they'd love me managing them. My ability to do the job isn't the issue. I know I could do the job very well (and from day one, right Hillary?) but I fear in a few months I'll be lying awake at night, worried about something on the job, and I'll realize I made a huge mistake. It's not like you can call a do-over and return to your old job. One of my first duties would be to train my replacement.
Is it wrong to just be happy where I am?
If you're happy where you are, if you don't honestly want the managerial position (where, let's face it, you'd have to be a dick) why are you fretting?
There's nothing wrong with being happy where you are! It sounds like you don't want the new position. So why are you worried about it?
<< Home

