Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Don't blow this, Fox!
Fox is in the unique position of premiering a new show, based on a very successful franchise, with a built-in audience, during a protracted writers strike. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
(I guess they added the Terminator name to the title so people wouldn't think it was a spin-off show starring one of the daughters from Roseanne.) had a two-night premier, Sunday and last night. It's already got a share of geeks slamming it (Ugh, I so dislike the angry, reactionary nerd that hates something with such a passion immediately and has to publicly pray for its demise in message boards...), but as a fan of the movies (I don't own any of them on DVD, but I've seen the first and second movies many times, the third only once) I felt it was faithful to the feel of the movies, especially the second one, with how the action scenes are shot. And it's a hoot seeing those shiny bastards in action again. If you saw the show last night, you know the creepy part I'm thinking of (what's under the motorcycle helmet!). Of course the other great part of the show is Summer Glau as the terminator sent back to protect John Connor, future leader of the rebellion against the robot revolution. Easy on the eyes and quite the fighter.Fox could have a nice little hit on their hands, if they just don't screw it up. All they have to do is:
(1) Keep the show on the air. I don't care how massive American Idol is, don't put the show on hiatus for eight weeks while you air Idol four times a week. It's the only way it will build an audience (learn from CBS and Jericho what happens when you yank a show off the air for too long). Besides, Idol is a great lead-in show. If 25% of the audience sticks around to watch Terminator, the show will be a big hit!
(2) You've announced Monday at 9 is the regular time slot for the show. Keep it that way. Don't move it around. People are too lazy to search for it.
(3) Keep up the promotion. While Idol is on, every other commercial doesn't need to have Paula Abdul in it. Keep showing commercials with big terminators getting kicked by little Summer. Two things boys love in one scene!
(4) Two words: DVD sales. Keep this show on the air and you'll make big money on DVD sales of complete seasons. I promise to buy it.
(5) One last thing:
Note to angry sci-fi geek: If you hate this show because of inconsistencies from the movies... Wow, are you missing the point.
Comments:
<< Home
I saw the pilot about a month ago and thought it was okay. Last night's episode has definitely hooked me. I have a season pass for it on the DVR and am looking forward to next week's episode.
BINGO! And she kicks Terminator ass. In light of that, I'll forgive a strange timeline.
For God's sake, Darth Vader built C3PO when he was a little kid. What the hell is up with that?!?
Post a Comment
For God's sake, Darth Vader built C3PO when he was a little kid. What the hell is up with that?!?
<< Home

