Sunday, December 23, 2007

 

Holy Crap!


Wow! Guess what? Cinematic Titanic, the new movie riffing group (the group is new, the movies are old) made up of MST3K alums Joel, Trace, Mary Jo, Josh, and TV's Frank has released their first, um... release, called The Oozing Skull. Check out the kick-ass trailer HERE.

Damn, I forgot how great Joel was at this. Their first DVD is available for only $15.94, which includes shipping and handling! Order it here. I did, and you should too!

Speaking of the good old Mystery Science Theater, we opened one early Christmas gift each tonight, from among the small pile of gifts we received from wife's father and stepmother, and I opened volume 11 of the MST3K Collection: Two classic Joel episodes and two classic Mike episodes!

Oh, and L, since you commented on the shock that I both showered and shaved on a Sunday... my original plan went awry when the wife had a sudden allergic reaction to the medication she was taking and we had to go to the emergency room tonight! Luckily, the doc immediately knew what was wrong and took her off the meds right away. Can you (pardon my French) fucking believe my wife's luck? Spends her entire life with no medical allergies, then when she catches something serious enough to need multiple hospital visits, she gets a medication that causes her to get MORE sick. Son of a bitch! The good news is that she already feels better since she started the new med. We are both sick of emergency rooms, as I'm sure my company's insurance program is sick of receiving these bills!

Comments:
Ordered The Oozing Skull over the weekend thanks to the Cinematic Titanic mailing list. Something else you might be interested in is The Film Crew with Mike, Kevin, and Bill Corbett. The Wild Women of Wongo has to be seen to be believed.

Speaking of MST3K, I still have a copy of Moon Zero Two for you amongst the many boxes I have yet to open.

Sorry to hear about Mrs. Smacky. Hopefully 2008 will be free of ER visits.
 
Oh yeah, I have a few Film Crew DVDs in my collection. They're pretty good, I'm just waiting for them to find a really great one and hit their stride.
 
So, did you shower and shave before you knew she had to go to the ER, or because of it?
 
As much as I love the old MST3K days, this TITANIC project simply costs too much. A burned DVD in a sleeve for $15? Come on. I would consider paying $10-$12 for a pressed DVD in a substantial case with extras. I buy every PIXAR movie for about that much. I won’t be buying this project at this price.

I predict piracy will damage sales to the point at which Joel and company will throw in the towel early. There won’t even be 12 episodes of CINEMATIC TITANIC completed. A lower price would have been so much more realistic. If they sold 10,000 copies at $8, each writer/performer might clear a couple thousand an episode.

That’s not great show-biz money, but aside from Joel it’s probably more than the other people involved have been making lately.
 
Hmm, I don't know, anonymous. Pixar has (had?) Disney money, which is second only to Wal-Mart money for depth of pocket, and they'll sell hundreds of thousands (over a million usually) of each DVD title. These guys have to license the film, rent cameras, etc. I'm wiling to pay a little more for it.

And two (or three) of the guys worked for years as writers for America's Funniest Home Videos. Yeah, the show sucked ass, but a writing gig on network TV pays ok, strike not withstanding.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?