Friday, November 30, 2007
Thursday night round-up
We had a great time last night. Met up with another couple at a restaurant across the street from the theater and had dinner. I ordered a beer and it was the size of a Big Gulp from 7-11. Seriously, it was at least three beers in one glass. If I hadn't forgotten my phone, I would have taken a picture of it, with a small child standing beside it for scale. It was odd, for sure. I guess they catered to the fancy young DC law firm crowd, who has the money to eat at fancy places but still want to get f-ed up like they used to. The bar area was packed with people in their early 20s dressed in office clothes. (Note: Looking at the scene made me very happy not to be single and looking.)
The food was just okay. I had Cuban salmon, which means it had a spicy crust and came with red beans and rice. I'm not especially picky about red beans and rice, but I'm definitely in the camp of: "The longer it cooks, the better it tastes." The beans were too firm. They had been cooked that day. Compare it to a bowl at a real Cuban place, where the beans started simmering last Monday, and damn, you will taste the difference.
The show was very funny. Opening guy had a few funny lines, and he was brief. Gaffigan was hilarious. The couple we were with had seen him six times(!) and said the show was at least 60% new material. They got in the line in the lobby after the show to get something signed by the man, while we decided not to wait an hour for that and headed home.
One large glass of water and two Aleve to head off a possible hangover (thanks, college training!), and all was right in the world. I didn't drink too much, but we boys at the table did top off dinner with 12-year-old scotch, and to be honest, I'm no connoisseur of the "adult" beverages. I'm rarely more ambitious than a beer or a glass of wine, so when I have something like that, I feel like a kid someone handed a glass to and is watching to see what I'll do. It was smooth, but until I move to a cabin in Alaska, I don't see myself becoming a regular scotch sipper. It doesn't get cold enough here to warrant more than the occasional "fire in the belly."
The food was just okay. I had Cuban salmon, which means it had a spicy crust and came with red beans and rice. I'm not especially picky about red beans and rice, but I'm definitely in the camp of: "The longer it cooks, the better it tastes." The beans were too firm. They had been cooked that day. Compare it to a bowl at a real Cuban place, where the beans started simmering last Monday, and damn, you will taste the difference.
The show was very funny. Opening guy had a few funny lines, and he was brief. Gaffigan was hilarious. The couple we were with had seen him six times(!) and said the show was at least 60% new material. They got in the line in the lobby after the show to get something signed by the man, while we decided not to wait an hour for that and headed home.
One large glass of water and two Aleve to head off a possible hangover (thanks, college training!), and all was right in the world. I didn't drink too much, but we boys at the table did top off dinner with 12-year-old scotch, and to be honest, I'm no connoisseur of the "adult" beverages. I'm rarely more ambitious than a beer or a glass of wine, so when I have something like that, I feel like a kid someone handed a glass to and is watching to see what I'll do. It was smooth, but until I move to a cabin in Alaska, I don't see myself becoming a regular scotch sipper. It doesn't get cold enough here to warrant more than the occasional "fire in the belly."

