Monday, November 05, 2007
Loving that extra hour
It's amazing what a psychological advantage an extra hour gives me. We did so much this weekend. Saturday morning we went to the Apple store and picked up Mac OS X Leopard. Wife wanted it for her Mac, so I loaded it onto mine as well. Just starting to read about what it can do.
I had a 30% off coupon, so I hopped over to Barnes & Noble and picked up Soon I Will Be Invincible. Review forthcoming.
Saturday afternoon I watched some Doctor Who and Torchwood episodes while finishing The Hard Way by Lee Child. Great book, though I'm part of a handful of his fans that knows Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso isn't surrounded by jungle, but is on a plateau with few trees and sandy soil giving way to desert in the north. It's fine though, because it is such an exotic sounding place, I understand why he chose to use it (and I'm aware of what a picky geek I sound like for pointing that out).
Sunday: Extra hour! We went to Whole Foods in the morning and got lots of fresh, exotic items. Had a great lunch, then I went up the street to the mattress place and bought a bed frame, moved the patio furniture into the garage for winter storage, raked up a bag of leaves in the backyard, and we watched a couple episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (got the DVD of seasons 1 and 2 last week).
Oh, last geeky thing I did: I ordered a full run of Rom, Spaceknight. The comic (the entire run, I think) was written by Bill Mantlo. I ordered it because it's something I've wanted to read for over a decade, and Marvel either can't or won't bother clearing the red tape necessary to reprint the issues in a collection. (Final proof of this is in the newest trade of Power Man and Iron Fist, in while it collects issues #50-72 and #74-75. Yes, it skips issue #73. Why? That issue features Rom. Apparently Marvel can't even reprint any issues in which this character appears, not just his own title. LAME!)
I learned only this morning that Rom writer Bill Mantlo, "suffered a debilitating injury while rollerblading in 1992. The long-time Marvel writer suffered severe head trauma when he was struck by a car on a New York street. He currently resides in a brain injury rehabilitation nursing home (link here)." A tribute magazine called MANTLO: A LIFE IN COMICS, was published this year. All proceeds go to paying Bill's healthcare bills. You can read more and order a copy HERE. I ordered one.
Oh, and if you're in Portland, Oregon, you can makes plans for the upcoming Rom: Spaceknight Art Show and Benefit Project, opening December 6. Details HERE. There are plans to publish the art in a comic book-sized book at a later date. A collection of Rom art would be awesome! Again, proceeds go to Mantlo's medical costs.
I had a 30% off coupon, so I hopped over to Barnes & Noble and picked up Soon I Will Be Invincible. Review forthcoming.
Saturday afternoon I watched some Doctor Who and Torchwood episodes while finishing The Hard Way by Lee Child. Great book, though I'm part of a handful of his fans that knows Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso isn't surrounded by jungle, but is on a plateau with few trees and sandy soil giving way to desert in the north. It's fine though, because it is such an exotic sounding place, I understand why he chose to use it (and I'm aware of what a picky geek I sound like for pointing that out).
Sunday: Extra hour! We went to Whole Foods in the morning and got lots of fresh, exotic items. Had a great lunch, then I went up the street to the mattress place and bought a bed frame, moved the patio furniture into the garage for winter storage, raked up a bag of leaves in the backyard, and we watched a couple episodes of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (got the DVD of seasons 1 and 2 last week).
Oh, last geeky thing I did: I ordered a full run of Rom, Spaceknight. The comic (the entire run, I think) was written by Bill Mantlo. I ordered it because it's something I've wanted to read for over a decade, and Marvel either can't or won't bother clearing the red tape necessary to reprint the issues in a collection. (Final proof of this is in the newest trade of Power Man and Iron Fist, in while it collects issues #50-72 and #74-75. Yes, it skips issue #73. Why? That issue features Rom. Apparently Marvel can't even reprint any issues in which this character appears, not just his own title. LAME!)I learned only this morning that Rom writer Bill Mantlo, "suffered a debilitating injury while rollerblading in 1992. The long-time Marvel writer suffered severe head trauma when he was struck by a car on a New York street. He currently resides in a brain injury rehabilitation nursing home (link here)." A tribute magazine called MANTLO: A LIFE IN COMICS, was published this year. All proceeds go to paying Bill's healthcare bills. You can read more and order a copy HERE. I ordered one.
Oh, and if you're in Portland, Oregon, you can makes plans for the upcoming Rom: Spaceknight Art Show and Benefit Project, opening December 6. Details HERE. There are plans to publish the art in a comic book-sized book at a later date. A collection of Rom art would be awesome! Again, proceeds go to Mantlo's medical costs.
Comments:
<< Home
Sorry for not getting back to you over the weekend, the Morrissey concert royally kicked my ass to the point where I stayed home almost all weekend recovering. However, sorry doesn't make up for the rudeness in not phoning when I said I would. My contrition is a bit wobbly here but it's all I can offer.
In better news, Bill (genius overlord of Trusty Plinko Stick) found an appearance of our favorite Spaceknight in the pages of Essential X-Men, Vol. 5:
http://trustyplinkostick.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-rom-again.html
Editorial screw-up or evidence of a vast conspiracy?
Post a Comment
In better news, Bill (genius overlord of Trusty Plinko Stick) found an appearance of our favorite Spaceknight in the pages of Essential X-Men, Vol. 5:
http://trustyplinkostick.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-rom-again.html
Editorial screw-up or evidence of a vast conspiracy?
<< Home

