Wednesday, October 17, 2007

 

Postmarks and "zombies"

L recommended a band in a recent post, which reminded me to mention a band I've discovered. The Postmarks are a trio out of Miami, but they definitely do not sound like a product of that area. They are poppy, with ringing guitars that remind you of the Smiths or Ocean Blue, and a female lead singer whose voice recalls Mazzy Star a bit, but more happy and much less mopey. Check out their website HERE. Scroll to the bottom of the "What's Happening" column and you can download my favorite song of theirs FREE. It's called "Goodbye" and the lyrics are the text of a note left for a former lover to find in the morning. But the singer feels liberated by getting away, not sad. It's an awesome tune and prompted me to go to Amazon and purchase their CD. If you're super lazy, or the cynical type and you're thinking to yourself, "Sure, whatever, Smacky. It probably sucks..." first of all, shame on you for not believing me! Second, you can hear the song immediately on their MySpace page. Tell me the song isn't perfect pop. And De, she's cute too. Give 'em a listen and tell me what you think.

* * *

I watched 28 Weeks Later last night, which is about living people infected with a virus nicknamed "rage" so it technically isn't a zombie movie (which is why I put "zombies" in quotes in the post title, but the people have the zombie-like urge to EAT YOU, so it's mostly a zombie movie. It was pretty good, considering it was basically a rehash of the first movie, with a few twists to keep it interesting. The only real actor that struck a note with me was the guy from The Full Monty.

Labels: ,


Comments:
The song is pretty good. If The Sundays, Juliana Hatfield, and a handful of Prozac were combined, that's the song that would come out.

The lead singer is certainly cute but she reminds me of every girl that wouldn't give me the time of day back in college.

It seems we both watched recent DVD releases last night. Mine was Transformers. Pretty dumb but a lot of fun. There's a neat G.I. Joe reference in the beginning.
 
Wow, the most recent flick I watched was Reign Over Me. It was good, but not great. I think cashing in on 9/11 already is pretty screwed up.

I just downloaded that song. I'm digging it. Now, have you listened to Bishop Allen yet?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?