Thursday, October 18, 2007

 

New Movie Wednesday

Watched the second film of what was Grindhouse in theaters: Planet Terror. It was, again, okay. Not scary, and with even less characterization than in the average straight-up zombie flick. But it was good cheesy fun.

Let me ask you something: Does knowing some fact about the persons involved in the film change your perspective on the film, or affect your enjoyment of it? For example:

* Can you laugh at the antics of OJ Simpson in the Police Squad movies now?

* In the Royal Tannenbaums, Luke Wilson's character looks in the mirror and says "I'm going to kill myself," and proceeds to attempt suicide. The music playing is Elliot Smith's "Needle in the Hay." Does knowing that Elliot Smith stabbed himself to death, or that Luke Wilson's brother Owen attempted suicide recently, affect your reaction to the scene? Scene below, by the way:



The point of my question is this: I read that Robert Rodriguez left his wife and five children for Rose McGowan, star of his movie Planet Terror. Granted, Rose is pretty (though it's sad she bought into that "must be anorexic to be an actress in Hollywood" bullshit, because she was MUCH prettier a few years ago before she became all ribs and collarbones. Seriously, women of Hollywood, eat something!) and you could argue that there was probably something wrong with the Rodriguez marriage already for him to walk out like that, unless Rose has an enchanted vagina and he fell under a spell...

Where was I? Oh yeah: While I liked the movie fine and didn't think about the piece of gossip I had heard just before watching it, I definitely thought about it when I started watching the extras. It's really hard to watch Rodriguez praise the acting ability of Rose McGowan for five minutes when I know she's his girlfriend. Or to watch Rose praise Rodriguez as a director when I know they're a couple. It makes them seem less sincere, I guess.

What do you think?



Comments:
You're not off-base at all. The Rodriguez-McGowan situation certainly makes the praise in the DVD extras ring very hollow.

The Speed Channel used to show Corvette Summer every couple of weeks (my roommate watched it every time it was on). I remember wincing as Mark Hamill drove about recklessly in the film, considering he nearly died from a horrendous car crash.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?