Monday, October 15, 2007
Miss me?
When I don't post for a while (which is rare, you know. I usually post even when I have nothing to say, while is lame but keeps me focused) it usually means one of two things: (1) I'm being a moody baby or (2) I'm too busy doing something else.
This time it was #2. Wednesday night we flew to Savannah, Georgia for a family reunion of wife's father's side of her family, which took place from Thursday to Sunday at a big beach house on Tybee Island, Georgia. The weather was beautiful. It was warm enough to swim in the ocean. Wife got her fill of family time for at least a year (if not longer). We had great seafood.
Here's a strange fact: One cousin we met for the first time (his mother and my wife's grandmother were sisters) has a daughter named Alice. And I was in the Peace Corps with his daughter Alice, which means I knew my wife's cousin before she did. It also means I knew my wife's cousin before I knew my wife!
The odds the I'd ever meet the family of another Peace Corps member stateside is pretty slim. There were only 50 of us in our group over there, out of nearly 10,000 volunteers worldwide. Factor in the odds of one of those other 49 volunteers being the cousin of my future wife, and it just gets spooky. We have to be talking a one in several million chance.
I'll give the final tally of birthday gifts after this weekend, as we're going to celebrate my birthday (the 9th) and my wife's (the 18th) with her mother this weekend. I can tell you some of the DVDs I've received but haven't gotten the chance to watch yet: Complete Space Ghost, Complete Droopy collection, first season of Hawaii 50, 28 Weeks Later, and Escape from LA. There are other titles I can't recall at the moment. Yes, I'm spoiled.
This time it was #2. Wednesday night we flew to Savannah, Georgia for a family reunion of wife's father's side of her family, which took place from Thursday to Sunday at a big beach house on Tybee Island, Georgia. The weather was beautiful. It was warm enough to swim in the ocean. Wife got her fill of family time for at least a year (if not longer). We had great seafood.
Here's a strange fact: One cousin we met for the first time (his mother and my wife's grandmother were sisters) has a daughter named Alice. And I was in the Peace Corps with his daughter Alice, which means I knew my wife's cousin before she did. It also means I knew my wife's cousin before I knew my wife!
The odds the I'd ever meet the family of another Peace Corps member stateside is pretty slim. There were only 50 of us in our group over there, out of nearly 10,000 volunteers worldwide. Factor in the odds of one of those other 49 volunteers being the cousin of my future wife, and it just gets spooky. We have to be talking a one in several million chance.
I'll give the final tally of birthday gifts after this weekend, as we're going to celebrate my birthday (the 9th) and my wife's (the 18th) with her mother this weekend. I can tell you some of the DVDs I've received but haven't gotten the chance to watch yet: Complete Space Ghost, Complete Droopy collection, first season of Hawaii 50, 28 Weeks Later, and Escape from LA. There are other titles I can't recall at the moment. Yes, I'm spoiled.
Comments:
<< Home
Being spoiled is awesome. That's kind of odd that you knew your wife's cousin before you knew her. The world is odd, isn't it?
Post a Comment
<< Home

