Monday, October 29, 2007

 

A couple of couply things

This was the first weekend since the beginning of July (I believe) that L. and I were alone all weekend, with no other family around. True, she had to work late Friday, and that resulted in both of us missing dinner (long story) but after that rocky start, the rest of the weekend was great.

Saturday I suggested a restaurant we both like and had lunch and browsed around a while. We brought steak home for all the pets, so they were happy to see us. We watched a few movies together, and Saturday evening she suggested Clyde's, where we had gone for my birthday a few weeks earlier. The waitress said it's the last week they'll have lobster on the menu, so I had to get one, of course.

Sunday I got up early and went to the drugstore. While there, I noticed two things: It suddenly became autumn, and there is a big Sunday farmer's market in the park next to the drugstore. I stopped by the ATM and headed home to get L. We returned to the farmer's market and picked up lots of amazing fresh food: radishes the size of baseballs, sweet potatoes (they had one literally the size of a football, but I imagined it would take about three hours to cook it, so we passed on that), fresh salad greens, three different loaves of bread (cheese, sweet potato, and sourdough), pumpkin dip, and what was probably the last harvest of garden tomatoes (from a garden, not a hothouse). The tomatoes were amazing. When you get a real tomato, not one that has been treated until it tastes like wax, you realize how they are supposed to taste.

We watched a couple of movies and for dinner she made a spaghetti sauce from scratch and toasted slices of the sourdough and melted garlic butter on it.

Okay, I'll admit, one of the best things about her being back is the food (as this posts mentions endlessly). Yay, she's back and in a cooking mood! Last night's dinner topped anything I ate while I was alone over the last four months.

Comments:
My sister-in-law works the farmer's market in Falls Church and she's normally pretty good about picking stuff up, but there has to be one in and around Manassas somewhere.
 
Aww, that's great that you finally get to spend some quality time with her!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?