Monday, May 07, 2007

 

It's Shake 'n Bake, and I helped!

I'm probably more proud of myself than I have a right to be, but yesterday, with a $6 cord from Radio Shack and an old boom box, I was able to transfer the music from some old cassettes onto my laptop. I'm not going to become the neighborhood pirate, so don't worry about that. I'm just transferring some things that one simply cannot purchase in digital format anywhere, at any price. I believe that would fall under "fair use" then, making a backup copy of something you already own. Besides, the music I copied was by a musician from Burkina Faso, West Africa who died in 2002. But now I have African reggae on my iPod, a genre it was severely lacking.

I really need to make a trip down to my parents' place sometime and grab the old box of cassettes and see what I have from my teens that I can transfer to this century.

Comments:
Transferring stuff you already own is certainly fair use. It's only when you defeat a digital mechanism to do so (which you didn't) that it becomes a "crime." The Digital Millenium Act has no provision for the fair use aspect of already existing copyright law (one of the reasons it was railed against once it became law).

Technically, to comply under the current law, you have to buy an extra copy if you want a spare copy of a DVD (or CD with DRM protection). To which, any reasonable person would scream, "Fuck that!" from the highest rooftop.
 
That's awesome. Down with the man!

Nah, I break the copyright laws all the time. It's total bullshit sometimes. Like, you're not legally allowed to show a movie in a classroom without having a special license. Bologna!

I hope you enjoy your awesome new/old iPod playlists :)
 
Like, you're not legally allowed to show a movie in a classroom without having a special license. Bologna!

That is technically true. It violates the "public exhibition" prohibition contained in that FBI warning no one reads. However, I can't remember the last time any studio sent a lawyer to a school because a teacher screened a film during class.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?