Monday, March 05, 2007

 

Keeping busy at play

We stayed in town this weekend. What did that mean? Well, Saturday morning I awoke early for some reason, so I popped out and bought coffee and donuts and brought them home for my honey. Then I got to work cleaning the basement, which mainly entailed dismantling a gazillion empty cardboard boxes and laying them flat for recycling. I finished up in a few hours, and I got out of the basement just as the dust and assorted microparticles were about to drive my sinuses insane with anger. Achoo!

We went to lunch at a relatively new Irish pub down the street. A hardware store had originally stood there. I discovered the restaurant when I had gone there months ago to buy some sandpaper. Oops! This was our first time going there with the intention of eating. First impression: Wow, this place is much bigger on the inside. Was the hardware store always this big? The square footage of the place becomes apparent when you remove the aisles. The waitress is Irish. Good sign. I order a Smithwick's Ale, which is always a pleasant surprise to find on tap. Had a very good Reuben, only my second in seven years. That sounds like a strange thing to remember, but I was with my wife both times I've had one.

Saturday afternoon I worked in the backyard and got a pile of brush into trash bags. Saturday night was watched For Your Consideration, and while it might not be fair to compare an artist's current work to work done in the past, let's face it, it's unavoidable. The newest release of directors, novelists, and musicians is always compared to previous work. And in this case, it wasn't as good as A Mighty Wind or Best in Show.

Sunday morning I took a few items to Goodwill and stopped at a used bookstore on the way home. They were having a 50% off sale on sci fi and horror. I resisted the urge to buy everything and only picked out five books.

The temperature was about 20 degrees colder than Saturday, with strong winds, so I stayed inside and played on the MAC. I used the iDVD program for the first time, and by dinner, I had made three DVDs. I won't mention the contents, but I now have half a season of a TV show on DVD. A show not yet available in stores. The iDVD program is amazing. I created menus and sub menus. The main menu plays a clip from the show in the background while I song I chose from my iTunes library plays. From there, you can either go to the episode menu or the extras menu. I tested the DVDs, and they play on both DVD players in our house, including the older one I thought wouldn't recognize video in the MP4 format. Shrug. Awesome. I don't think I would have been able to do this with the PC. It would have taken hours to figure out what to do.

New Heroes tonight, with a new Spider-Man 3 commercial airing too.

Oh, and thanks to my 365 Days of Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places calendar, I can tell you that 25 years ago yesterday, John Belushi died of an overdose of cocaine and heroin (March 4, 1982). And 44 years ago today, the world lost Patsy Cline to a plane crash.

Comments:
There was an article on John Belishi on cnn.com this morning. Very sad, and funny because I wrote a paper yesterday that blames unwed, teenage mothers on Animal House.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?