Friday, December 01, 2006
The odd approach of winter
Today the temperature will likely reach the low 70s, but the winter storm that has been dumping snow across middle America is coming through this afternoon. Due to the bizarrely mild temps, they are predicting a ton of rain and 60 MPH winds, so it will be more hurricane than snowstorm. Then the temperature is supposed to drop about 35 degrees, and by Monday, highs will be in the low 40s.
This will be the background while we decorate our Christmas tree, not very Christmasy setting to work under, but what can you do? Due to upcoming obligations, we have to get the tree up this weekend, or it will be nearly Christmas day before we have a chance to again.
Completely changing the subject, I watched The New Kids last night. Made in 1985 and directed by Sean Cunningham (producer of Friday the 13th), the movie is part teen angst, part revenge thriller, and all kick-ass. Starring Lori Loughlin (a few years before she sold her soul to be in Full House for a decade), the story line is this: Lori and her brother move to the deep south to live with an uncle after their parents die in a car crash. Being the deep south, she immediately catches the eyes of the local scumbags at their school. The leader of the gang is James Spader, doing a really great job of white-trashing it up, with polyester shirts, bleached blond hair and an accent straight out of Hee Haw. He's a completely disgusting individual, and when he and his redneck buddies decide it would be a hoot to hook up with Lori... things get ugly. I won't spoil the rest of the plot, but it involves an amusement park after-hours, four shotguns, a bowl of goat blood, an angry rottweiler, gasoline, electricity, punches, kicks, and a zippo lighter. This movie is a lot of fun. I purchased it in Deep Discount DVD's last big sale. We haven't been exactly flush with green lately, so I was only able to pick up a couple of already cheap films, but I'm glad I chose this one.
This will be the background while we decorate our Christmas tree, not very Christmasy setting to work under, but what can you do? Due to upcoming obligations, we have to get the tree up this weekend, or it will be nearly Christmas day before we have a chance to again.
Completely changing the subject, I watched The New Kids last night. Made in 1985 and directed by Sean Cunningham (producer of Friday the 13th), the movie is part teen angst, part revenge thriller, and all kick-ass. Starring Lori Loughlin (a few years before she sold her soul to be in Full House for a decade), the story line is this: Lori and her brother move to the deep south to live with an uncle after their parents die in a car crash. Being the deep south, she immediately catches the eyes of the local scumbags at their school. The leader of the gang is James Spader, doing a really great job of white-trashing it up, with polyester shirts, bleached blond hair and an accent straight out of Hee Haw. He's a completely disgusting individual, and when he and his redneck buddies decide it would be a hoot to hook up with Lori... things get ugly. I won't spoil the rest of the plot, but it involves an amusement park after-hours, four shotguns, a bowl of goat blood, an angry rottweiler, gasoline, electricity, punches, kicks, and a zippo lighter. This movie is a lot of fun. I purchased it in Deep Discount DVD's last big sale. We haven't been exactly flush with green lately, so I was only able to pick up a couple of already cheap films, but I'm glad I chose this one.
Comments:
<< Home
I hear you with the not having time to trim a tree. I had to work on mine two weeks ago :)
And ohhh, that movie is older than I am.
Post a Comment
And ohhh, that movie is older than I am.
<< Home

