Wednesday, September 20, 2006

 

Drama and Pie


Woo hoo! Aldo is barely out of the liquor store lot and he's already a quarter way through the bottle and muttering to himself.

Dawn at work (It is. The sun rises later and later now.) Put the iPod on "shuffle all songs" and let it go. Madness do One Step Beyond, leading into Sade's Never as Good as the First Time, to John Lennon singing Across the Universe, leading into Johnny Cash doing Streets of Laredo. Nice quiet morning in the office.

We watched Smith last night, the new Ray Liotta show about a family man pulling big heists with his team of diverse folks. We liked it. Interesting characters, snazzy plot, and it wasn't paced like an epileptic fit-causing video. There were quiet moments that also advanced the plot. I hope it does well against its tough competition (Law & Order SVU on NBC and Boston Legal on ABC). Also, the entire show was sponsored by the new Martin Scorsese movie The Departed. Jack Nicholson as the mobster. That's all you need to know (Leo DiCaprio and Matt Damon for eye candy if you need it). The point is, since one movie sponsored the show, they played about five different trailers for the movie, then returned immediately to the show. Far less commercials than usual.

It's tough deciding whether or not to watch a new show. It's like resolving to date again after a bad break-up. You're hesitant after being burned so many times before. You don't want to open your heart just to have the other person leave, like Keen Eddie, Wonderfalls, and Thief. And that makes it a catch-22, because if you wait to see if the show will survive more than two episodes, then it will probably get cancelled because no one is watching. But if I don't give shows like Smith, Heroes, Six Degrees, or The Nine a chance, the networks will give up completely, and we'll have nothing but Dancing With the Stars, Survivor, Deal or No Deal, Kiss Donald Trump's Ass, and all the other "reality" programs I despise so much.

Did I mention the major deal I scored two weekends ago? My aunt and her friend go to yard sales every Saturday, and for some reason I was up and already had a cup of coffee by 7:30. My aunt stopped by and asked if I wanted to go along, and I said yes. Looked at lots of random crap I would never buy, but the last place had the bonanza. It was a box of books, no different than any other place, but this box wasn't full of the mass market bestsellers from five years ago and romance novels. The person filled this box with good stuff. I found ten novels by Kurt Vonnegut (including two hardbacks!), and Philip K. Dick's first novel Solar Lottery from 1955. Total cost for these eleven books: ONE DOLLAR! I'm rereading Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan now. I had read it in college, but his novels are so imaginative and crazy, recalling the plot is like trying to piece together the events of a wild party the morning after.

Wednesday Bonus Picture: I don't know if I ever said anything about our wedding (on Blogger. I think I did on mBlog before it closed down and ate all my posts...). We decided not to have a wedding cake, since they are usually oversweet and nasty. Instead, we had about 30 pies, all different kinds. Our center pie was key lime. Laura let me pick the topper, and here it is:
Mary Jane and Spider-Man

Yeah, I married the right woman.

Comments:
Action figures make the best baked-good toppers. Em and I had the 1940's versions of Captain Kirk and Dr. Crusher. She wouldn't let me use the Gorn.
 
I'm pretty sure you mentioned that on mblog. Good times.

Also, sweet action figures! Do you still have them?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?