Monday, September 11, 2006

 

And we're back!

Whew! Returned after ten days out of town. Eventful vacation:

Topical storm (depression; whatever category it was) Ernesto hit the coast of Virginia harder than expected. We got on the road around 3pm on September 1, but the rains started almost immediately. Worse, power was knocked out almost everywhere. No power = no working gas pumps. We were on fumes when we finally found a small Shell station in the middle of the country that still had power, and waited 20 minutes in line to get to the pumps. Then about 30 minutes further up the road a giant oak tree fell across the highway, blocking traffic in both directions for another 30 minutes while road crews used chainsaws and bulldozers to clear the road. We arrived at the river at late dusk in pouring rain. No power anywhere for miles around.

Candles, lanterns, and dinner from the grill.

Saturday was a slate-gray day with showers and a high tide five feet above normal. Watched the dock rise, fall, and twist in the water. By Saturday evening, we had twelve people staying in two houses, with three of Laura's sisters each with their respective spouses. A generator was set up, with electric cords running between the houses, just to run the refrigerators and water pumps (no electricity also means no power to pump well water, so we needed the generator to bathe and flush toilets). Two games of Scrabble by lantern.

Sunday, more of the same, with the rain finally ending late Sunday evening. Still no power.

Monday, rain appears over, sun actually tries to come out, but is quickly beaten into submission by clouds. I take the kayak out and look at broken docks and debris in the water. While napping on the couch, I wake to a lovely sound: the air conditioner turning on. Power returned at 3 pm Monday. Close up the windows and lower the AC to get the humidity levels down.

The rest of the week was normal vacation: reading, watching movies, taking naps. The water was a bit chilly for swimming, but I perservered. I have a few more stories, but I've also been away from work for a week, so I need to get to it.

Laura and I are going to avoid the TV this evening. We both remember September 11, 2001 quite clearly, and agree that there's a fine line between remembering and reliving, and we don't want to wade into the deep end of this anniversary.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?