Monday, August 07, 2006
Just, you know... stuff.
Weekend was okay.
Friday a friend stopped by and we hung out. Saturday I ran some errands, mowed the other lawn and trimmed the bushes. Damn house is still on the market.
Done and grungy a few hours later, I decided to make a side trip to a used CD place on the way home. I hadn't been to this place in over a year, since we moved to the other side of town. Enjoying the air conditioning (a cooler day meant it was still in the low 90s), I ended up picking up five used CDs:
Saturday night I went to dinner at the neighbor's house. I had helped remove carpet and padding and she wanted to feed me as a reward. Obligated to go. The meal was fine. Her boyfriend was there (and two people in their 60s shouldn't be described as "boyfriend and girlfriend," but I don't know what else to call them. He supports Bush and the war, she doesn't, but I refused to break the tie. I changed the subject.
Sunday I watched The Life Aquatic. Wes Anderson's fourth movie, and the first not cowritten by Owen Wilson. It's also my least favorite of the four. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not. This was the second time I had seen it, and it was better the second time.
It was my nephew's eight birthday, so we sent him a gift card (I know, how original... but when I was eight, getting to pick something out was always better than getting something I didn't want). Called and said happy birthday and ended up talking to my sister for an hour. Our longest conversation in at least a year. We live in different states, she's older, had two kids, and we don't have a lot in common. So the long conversation was a nice surprise.
Sunday night we had Lebanese food (Humus, taboule, etc.), yum. We watched two TiVoed episodes of Dead Zone, and I'm still surprised and happy there is a show even vaguely scifi my wife likes.
And to answer some questions about the last post: Yes, I read Mary Worth. It's 10 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag, and yes, "Mary's Hot Cocoa" is a euphemism. It comes from a conversation I had with De about the July 1 Mary Worth strip, in which she asks her "boyfriend" Jeff if he wants to come up for "some hot cocoa." This being July in California (and I spoke with a friend in L.A. recently and she said the temp was 104!), we decided "hot cocoa" had to be a code term for some sort of dirty, hot lovin'. Thus, Aldo Kelrast wants Mary's Hot Cocoa. His antics over the weekend (Begging to be her "backdoor man," he whines, "Is he the jealous type? He doesn't have to find out! I won't tell if you won't!" and what woman could resist that offer? Then on Sunday he stands in his apartment, rubbing his hands together and thinking, "Playing hard to get, are we Mary? That just makes the chase more exciting for me!") just confirm that he's a freak, and won't stop until her head is hidden away in a bowling bag in his closet.
==========
I obviously don't think too often about who stumbles across my blog and why. If I cared about "hits" I'd link to porn or discuss politics all the time. But for a lark I checked the stats for the first time in about a year, and discovered a few things:
Under search terms, my blog was NUMBER ONE out of 21,000 on Google for “Barnacle Cut infection” for a story about what happened to me in August 2005.
Other search terms that led folks to my blog in the last week:
“soap opera handcuffs” (for my discussion of Mary Worth and her stalker)
“photos of julliet lewis” (yep, even with her name spelled wrong. I think it was a Scientology rant)
“kill a car battery” (for the VW Beetle saga)
“vw trunk zombie” (Um... no idea. Maybe both terms appeared in the same post, but aren't related.)
"aldo kelrast" (Mary Worth's stalker, duh!)
Friday a friend stopped by and we hung out. Saturday I ran some errands, mowed the other lawn and trimmed the bushes. Damn house is still on the market.
Done and grungy a few hours later, I decided to make a side trip to a used CD place on the way home. I hadn't been to this place in over a year, since we moved to the other side of town. Enjoying the air conditioning (a cooler day meant it was still in the low 90s), I ended up picking up five used CDs:
- Grant McLennan (one half of the Go-Betweens): Horsebreaker Star
- Gram Parsons: G.P. and Grievous Angel (both his albums on one CD)
- Jamiroquai: Dynamite
- Julian Cope: Floored Genius 2: Best of the BBC Sessions
- Split Enz: The Best of Split Enz
Saturday night I went to dinner at the neighbor's house. I had helped remove carpet and padding and she wanted to feed me as a reward. Obligated to go. The meal was fine. Her boyfriend was there (and two people in their 60s shouldn't be described as "boyfriend and girlfriend," but I don't know what else to call them. He supports Bush and the war, she doesn't, but I refused to break the tie. I changed the subject.
Sunday I watched The Life Aquatic. Wes Anderson's fourth movie, and the first not cowritten by Owen Wilson. It's also my least favorite of the four. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not. This was the second time I had seen it, and it was better the second time.
It was my nephew's eight birthday, so we sent him a gift card (I know, how original... but when I was eight, getting to pick something out was always better than getting something I didn't want). Called and said happy birthday and ended up talking to my sister for an hour. Our longest conversation in at least a year. We live in different states, she's older, had two kids, and we don't have a lot in common. So the long conversation was a nice surprise.
Sunday night we had Lebanese food (Humus, taboule, etc.), yum. We watched two TiVoed episodes of Dead Zone, and I'm still surprised and happy there is a show even vaguely scifi my wife likes.
And to answer some questions about the last post: Yes, I read Mary Worth. It's 10 pounds of crazy in a 5 pound bag, and yes, "Mary's Hot Cocoa" is a euphemism. It comes from a conversation I had with De about the July 1 Mary Worth strip, in which she asks her "boyfriend" Jeff if he wants to come up for "some hot cocoa." This being July in California (and I spoke with a friend in L.A. recently and she said the temp was 104!), we decided "hot cocoa" had to be a code term for some sort of dirty, hot lovin'. Thus, Aldo Kelrast wants Mary's Hot Cocoa. His antics over the weekend (Begging to be her "backdoor man," he whines, "Is he the jealous type? He doesn't have to find out! I won't tell if you won't!" and what woman could resist that offer? Then on Sunday he stands in his apartment, rubbing his hands together and thinking, "Playing hard to get, are we Mary? That just makes the chase more exciting for me!") just confirm that he's a freak, and won't stop until her head is hidden away in a bowling bag in his closet.
==========
I obviously don't think too often about who stumbles across my blog and why. If I cared about "hits" I'd link to porn or discuss politics all the time. But for a lark I checked the stats for the first time in about a year, and discovered a few things:
Under search terms, my blog was NUMBER ONE out of 21,000 on Google for “Barnacle Cut infection” for a story about what happened to me in August 2005.
Other search terms that led folks to my blog in the last week:
“soap opera handcuffs” (for my discussion of Mary Worth and her stalker)
“photos of julliet lewis” (yep, even with her name spelled wrong. I think it was a Scientology rant)
“kill a car battery” (for the VW Beetle saga)
“vw trunk zombie” (Um... no idea. Maybe both terms appeared in the same post, but aren't related.)
"aldo kelrast" (Mary Worth's stalker, duh!)
Comments:
<< Home
The "vw trunk zombie" search points to an archive page, which are always good for seeming relevant because they collect a bunch of different posts that don't necessarily have anything to do with each other. (I'm in the habit of checking page stats constantly, because I manage a business website and am always checking that one to get an idea of how people are finding it, who's promoting us, et cetera. I've found that those archives pages give tons of false positives, people clicking through looking for things that aren't there.)
I found you by way of the "links to this post" list at the bottom of the Stalker Aldo post.
Post a Comment
I found you by way of the "links to this post" list at the bottom of the Stalker Aldo post.
<< Home

