Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Productive Wednesday, rant addendum

After work I went to the local hardware store and purchased a new spark plug for the lawn mower, and was pleasantly surprised that I had correctly guessed the problem and fixed it the first time. From 3:30 to 6:30 I mowed two lawns, and drank three bottles of water.

Dinner was a caesar salad with grilled shrimp, and a baked sweet potato. Damn fine meal.

I've started reading Cell by Stephen King. I didn't have any interest in it until I read last week that the book was his homage to the zombie genre, and he had dedicated the book to George Romero (king of the zombie film) and Richard Matheson (author of I am Legend, the literary roots of the zombie genre). That got my attention. And I picked up a new copy from a seller on Amazon for $2.00 (must be stolen to be that cheap).

Addition to yesterday's post: Is it merely a coincidence that all 18 of the families that "adopted" frozen embryos are white, upper middle class, and Christian? (I'm guessing on the last, but they're clearly white, artificial insemination ain't for the poor, and I'll bet a dollar there's not a Jewish family in that group!) How many endless debates, costing taxpayers endless amounts of wasted money, have been started because a relatively small but vocal and organized group of white, upper middle class Christians wanted to impose their own morality on the entire country? Need a few examples?

If I really feel like making broad generalizations, I'd add:

Meanwhile, as we spend money to debate these things, we close successful afterschool programs due to lack of funds and put kids back on the street with nothing to do and no role models. Is it a wonder the D.C. chief of police declared a crime state of emergency, allocating $16 million to cover overtime for police officers working six days a week and installing video surveillance cameras across the town?


Comments:
Hey hey, for the record, I am a white middle/upper class Christian, and I think we should have creationism in schools. But I also think we should have Flying Spaghetti Monsterism taught along with that, so that might refute any argument I could come up with.

However, I agree that it's pathetic that just because the majority of Christians are strong in their beliefs, it doesn't mean that they should impose them on other people. I mean, I live less than a half-hour from the Focus on the Family headquarters. I'm sick of people shoving MY OWN BELIEFS down my throat. It's ridiculous.

Also, I support stem-cell research. So I'm not "a very good Christian" or something.
 
I understand where your coming from, and appreciate your opinion. That said... I'll never accept a bibical story being taught as valid "science." It goes against everything that defines the subject: evidence and ability to test the theory. Teach it in a philosophy class, or a world/comparative religions class. Heck, teach it to your own kids in the evenings and on weekends. If you want your children to learn something, you have the power to teach them. And if that's not your reason behind wanting it in a science class, your trying to mandate what MY kids are taught, and you're saying my kids need to learn the particulars of your religious beliefs, and that's a problem. (I know neither of us have kids, I'm just sayin'...)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?