Monday, June 05, 2006
Eating and reading
Wife and I had a rather romantic weekend, brought about mostly by the absence of her family. See, at the river, her parents are our neighbors. They're fun to hang out with, and Laura usually cooks a big meal for everyone on Saturday nights, but we didn't realize how nice it is to be alone until they announced they were going out to a romantic dinner and we'd be alone. We ended up making fajitas, and making a spicy homemade marinade for the chicken and shrimp. After dinner we had margaritas on the back deck and watched the sun set on the bay.
Saturday morning it was cold and raining, and we found ourselves at a huge Catholic rummage sale (the sale was huge, not the Catholics... though I suppose there are a few XLs in the church. Fat doesn't discriminate about religion. I'm just sayin'...). We arrived at 10:30, and the rain was taking its toll on attendance. The Catholics were desperate to sell their crap, thus everything was already reduced 50% by the time we got there. The paperbacks were an even better deal. The guy watching the book tables said "It's 24 books for a dollar now." My standards for selection got a bit broader at that point, since picking 24 books I'd actually read was looking impossible. Then he handed me a cardboard box and said, "Here, fill this up for a dollar." Wow, Catholic, calm down. I picked up everything that looked vaguely mystery or science fiction. Most interesting find: An early edition hardback collection of Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It includes the short story that was the basis for Hellraiser. I'm sure there's some irony in finding that at a church yard sale, but I chilled on the snark and just added it to the box.
Saturday morning it was cold and raining, and we found ourselves at a huge Catholic rummage sale (the sale was huge, not the Catholics... though I suppose there are a few XLs in the church. Fat doesn't discriminate about religion. I'm just sayin'...). We arrived at 10:30, and the rain was taking its toll on attendance. The Catholics were desperate to sell their crap, thus everything was already reduced 50% by the time we got there. The paperbacks were an even better deal. The guy watching the book tables said "It's 24 books for a dollar now." My standards for selection got a bit broader at that point, since picking 24 books I'd actually read was looking impossible. Then he handed me a cardboard box and said, "Here, fill this up for a dollar." Wow, Catholic, calm down. I picked up everything that looked vaguely mystery or science fiction. Most interesting find: An early edition hardback collection of Clive Barker's Books of Blood. It includes the short story that was the basis for Hellraiser. I'm sure there's some irony in finding that at a church yard sale, but I chilled on the snark and just added it to the box.
Comments:
<< Home
Another "Lost" thought:
I believe the "S.R." Kate mentions when she reads one of the random notebooks aloud stands for "Subject Ruzhinsky." She says "S.R. moved ping-pong table." We know you need to move the table to reach the failsafe switch, and we know Ruzhinsky showed the switch to Kelvin. It makes sense the people recording things in the journals would use the term "subject" rather than a full name. They might only know his full name, since there doesn't appear to be audio in the Pearl hatch.
Also, multitude of "ifs" aside, Kelvin said "Goodbye Desmond." For the first time in three years he said something different. Something he was certain Desmond would notice. Also, that wasn't a random small tear in his suit. It was huge, and it was facing Desmond, while Kelvin had to face away from Demond for him to see the tear. I still believe Desmond was lured out of the hatch. Kelvin asked Desmond to come with him on the boat. I think the initial plan was just to get Desmond away from the button. Obviously, Kelvin's death wasn't part of the plan. Maybe Kelvin was supposed to physically stop Desmond from returning to the hatch at the prescribed time. Of course, this also implies the pilot flew them to these exact coordinates (and the pilot's death probably wasn't part of the bargain either, though Dharma would certainly want to keep him silent if the crash didn't kill him).
I believe the "S.R." Kate mentions when she reads one of the random notebooks aloud stands for "Subject Ruzhinsky." She says "S.R. moved ping-pong table." We know you need to move the table to reach the failsafe switch, and we know Ruzhinsky showed the switch to Kelvin. It makes sense the people recording things in the journals would use the term "subject" rather than a full name. They might only know his full name, since there doesn't appear to be audio in the Pearl hatch.
Also, multitude of "ifs" aside, Kelvin said "Goodbye Desmond." For the first time in three years he said something different. Something he was certain Desmond would notice. Also, that wasn't a random small tear in his suit. It was huge, and it was facing Desmond, while Kelvin had to face away from Demond for him to see the tear. I still believe Desmond was lured out of the hatch. Kelvin asked Desmond to come with him on the boat. I think the initial plan was just to get Desmond away from the button. Obviously, Kelvin's death wasn't part of the plan. Maybe Kelvin was supposed to physically stop Desmond from returning to the hatch at the prescribed time. Of course, this also implies the pilot flew them to these exact coordinates (and the pilot's death probably wasn't part of the bargain either, though Dharma would certainly want to keep him silent if the crash didn't kill him).
I have to agree with Lauren here. Even when I was a good 50 pounds lighter, my t-shirt size was still XL. It's still XL... barely.
Post a Comment
<< Home

