Tuesday, May 30, 2006
Back
Got home last night about 9pm, after four days out of town. We had a good time. Wife's sister and sister's husband came down as well, and we swam, played poker, played pool, went out in the boat, watched movies, and had a cookout. I finished a book and started another one. Now we're back in a minor heat wave. Supposed to be humid and 90 today. Of course, I have to mow the lawn after work, which is a drag, but unavoidable. Also have to deal with the other house. They're starting to refinish the wood floors on Friday, so I have to move the remaining furniture to the carpeted areas of the house (and mow the lawn there as well. See how it never ends?).
I watched the Lost finale again over the vacation, and I'm still thinking about it. A few things I'm pondering:
(1) Fake Henry Gale's line, "We're the good guys." Who the hell are the bad guys? Dharma? Can the "good" guys be trusted? They promised Michael to not hurt Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. Of course, they also promised Michael that if he followed the precise compass heading of 325, he'd get rescued. Does that put him in a busy shipping lane? Is that the only compass heading that would get him away from the island successfully? If he's rescued, how does he explain surviving the crash, how does he explain the boat, and how does he answer questions about the other survivors?
(2) Locke's final line, "I was wrong." What a line, and what a reading of it. Three words filled with such pain and shame. Awesome. What are the fates of Locke, Eko, and Desmond?
(3) Confirmation that the real world exists, with the introduction of Penelope Widmore, daughter of the man who may be behind the whole thing! (If he is, he knows Desmond has been trapped on the island for three years. What a prick.) Now the the electromagnatic pulse has been released, are the island's cloaking abilities gone? Did the team in the snow pinpoint the island's location? Will Penelope send a team down (or come with them)? Will they succeed in finding the island? Will they be stranded once they arrive? Will she become a new castmate on the island? Will her father know she's there? How will that affect plans?
Lots of questions. Lots of ways the writers could go. Good final episode.
I watched the Lost finale again over the vacation, and I'm still thinking about it. A few things I'm pondering:
(1) Fake Henry Gale's line, "We're the good guys." Who the hell are the bad guys? Dharma? Can the "good" guys be trusted? They promised Michael to not hurt Jack, Kate, and Sawyer. Of course, they also promised Michael that if he followed the precise compass heading of 325, he'd get rescued. Does that put him in a busy shipping lane? Is that the only compass heading that would get him away from the island successfully? If he's rescued, how does he explain surviving the crash, how does he explain the boat, and how does he answer questions about the other survivors?
(2) Locke's final line, "I was wrong." What a line, and what a reading of it. Three words filled with such pain and shame. Awesome. What are the fates of Locke, Eko, and Desmond?
(3) Confirmation that the real world exists, with the introduction of Penelope Widmore, daughter of the man who may be behind the whole thing! (If he is, he knows Desmond has been trapped on the island for three years. What a prick.) Now the the electromagnatic pulse has been released, are the island's cloaking abilities gone? Did the team in the snow pinpoint the island's location? Will Penelope send a team down (or come with them)? Will they succeed in finding the island? Will they be stranded once they arrive? Will she become a new castmate on the island? Will her father know she's there? How will that affect plans?
Lots of questions. Lots of ways the writers could go. Good final episode.
