Tuesday, April 11, 2006
What's in YOUR walle-, I mean, office?
Spurred by a post by De about office decor, I decided to give a brief list of items in my windowless office.
So, sitting at my desk, going around the room, starting to my immediate right:
(1) Framed photo of Jack Kerouac. He's sitting in a worn out looking chair, reading a book.
(2) Picture of my cats. (I know, thank God I'm married or that would be creepy.)
(3) Picture of the Peace Corps volunteers with Danny Glover. He came to Burkina for a film festival and stopped by for a photo op. He's wearing a floor length, bright pink Bubu (an embroidered robe). The airline had lost his luggage on the trip over to Africa, so he wore this bright pink robe for most of the week he was in the country. Bright pink.
(4) Photo of wife and me at our friends' wedding.
(5) Signed photo of the Lone Ranger. This is rather obscure, as the photo of--and signed by--John Hart. He was the replacement Lone Ranger on the TV show for two seasons while the original, Clayton Moore, was having a contract dispute over salary. He signed it "To my good friend. I read you every week." This goes back to when I worked at my previous job, and was writing a weekly column on the internet. Long story about how he came to write that, so let's move on.
(6) Photo of Ernest Hemingway, writing at his desk.
On the bookcase to the left of my desk:
(7) Singed photo of Clive Barker. I met him at the Book Expo in Chicago.
(8) Singed photo of Kyra Schon, the little girl from the original Night of the Living Dead. In the movie, she becomes a zombie and kills and eats her parents. She signed it "I hurt," her only spoken line in the movie.
(9) Signed photo of Yvonne Craig in her Batwoman costume.
(10) Wall calendar. Dry erase.
(11) Ansel Adams poster (This came with the office.)
About a month ago I found a box set of vinyl records in a thrift store. It included a pristine black and white 8x10 of Hank Williams (senior). When I get a frame for it, it's going in my office somewhere, as it's simply too cool not to share with the world.
So, sitting at my desk, going around the room, starting to my immediate right:
(1) Framed photo of Jack Kerouac. He's sitting in a worn out looking chair, reading a book.
(2) Picture of my cats. (I know, thank God I'm married or that would be creepy.)
(3) Picture of the Peace Corps volunteers with Danny Glover. He came to Burkina for a film festival and stopped by for a photo op. He's wearing a floor length, bright pink Bubu (an embroidered robe). The airline had lost his luggage on the trip over to Africa, so he wore this bright pink robe for most of the week he was in the country. Bright pink.
(4) Photo of wife and me at our friends' wedding.
(5) Signed photo of the Lone Ranger. This is rather obscure, as the photo of--and signed by--John Hart. He was the replacement Lone Ranger on the TV show for two seasons while the original, Clayton Moore, was having a contract dispute over salary. He signed it "To my good friend. I read you every week." This goes back to when I worked at my previous job, and was writing a weekly column on the internet. Long story about how he came to write that, so let's move on.
(6) Photo of Ernest Hemingway, writing at his desk.
On the bookcase to the left of my desk:
(7) Singed photo of Clive Barker. I met him at the Book Expo in Chicago.
(8) Singed photo of Kyra Schon, the little girl from the original Night of the Living Dead. In the movie, she becomes a zombie and kills and eats her parents. She signed it "I hurt," her only spoken line in the movie.
(9) Signed photo of Yvonne Craig in her Batwoman costume.
(10) Wall calendar. Dry erase.
(11) Ansel Adams poster (This came with the office.)
About a month ago I found a box set of vinyl records in a thrift store. It included a pristine black and white 8x10 of Hank Williams (senior). When I get a frame for it, it's going in my office somewhere, as it's simply too cool not to share with the world.

