Tuesday, April 18, 2006

 

Haiku

Over the weekend
a little bird built a nest
on the backyard fence.


My wife had Friday and Monday off, while I did not. She left for the river Thursday evening with the dog, while the cats and I watched a few episodes of the first season of Lost on DVD. (At this point in season 2, it's interesting to watch the early season 1 episodes. For example, Sawyer was truly a DICK. I mean, not charming, not likeable, no redeeming qualities at all. Even Hurley, who likes everybody, called Sawyer a "chain smokin' redneck" in part 2 of the pilot. A few episodes ago this season, Hurley beat Sawyer's ass, which rocked.)

Friday morning I went in to work and told my boss about Laura's long weekend, and asked if I could possibly take the afternoon off and go meet her. My boss said "Well, why don't you take Monday off too? I am. That sounds like a good idea." It took about half a second of arm twisting before I agreed, so I headed out of town at noon and we returned yesterday evening. That explains my unscheduled absence.

I received the Star Trek Borg collection on Saturday from my mother-in-law, out of the blue. My father-in-law and I watched the first four episodes, which began chronologically, with Enterprise, followed by three episodes of TNG. The first TNG episode, Q Who?, had Wil Wheaton as Wesley Crusher. He looks so uncomfortable. It's understandable, being an awkward teen actor on a show with a bunch of seasoned adults, and spouting science fiction lines with a straight face. It's too bad he chose to leave the show (due to teen hubris: he was going to become a big movie actor, and television was holding him back.) I wonder how he would have fit in as a young adult on the show, if his character had stayed on the ship. Okay, I'm veering into geek territory here.


I also picked up a copy of In Country on DVD for $2 at Family Dollar. Freakily enough, a week earlier, I was wondering if this movie had ever been released on DVD. The first serious acting role for Bruce Willis, playing a Vietnam vet with a few "issues." British actress Emily Lloyd does an amazing Southern accent, in my opinion. Interestingly, Amazon reviewers generally give the movie 5 stars or 1 star, with very few in the middle. The pace is slow, which I thought fit the tone of the movie (and the Bobbie Ann Mason book on which it is based). It's a character drama, not Apocalypse Now. If you leave your expectations at the door, the movie will surprise you.

Comments:
I caught In Country on HBO several years ago and remember liking it a lot. The pained expression of Bruce Willis at the Vietnam Memorial is quite the emotional hammer.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?