Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

Invisible man


"The better I do my job, the less likely that anyone will notice I've done it at all."

This is a line from a column in the February 1 issue of Publishers Weekly. The piece goes on to say, "No one reads a moving novel or riveting exposé and remarks, 'What brilliant editing.'"

That's the interesting nature of my job (and Kate's). People only notice when we screw up. Sure, the publication may win an award, but it isn't exclusively for the editing, although it's the editing that helped get it nominated, you can be sure of that. I also sometimes contribute to the writing of the publication, including the introduction, back cover copy, or a phrase or two that turns a clumsy paragraph into a clear one. And for all this, the credit goes to the author.

It suits me. As much as a dread meeting strangers and making small talk at parties, a job that rewards invisibility is just what I enjoy.

I am confident that I found my calling.

Comments:
Glad it suits you. So many people just want credit and fame in this world, rather than just the satisfaction of knowing they are awesome at what they do.
 
Grrface said it first. ;)

you know, you could be like one of those movie characters who walks off into the sunset, while the guy(s) who did de saving da day bit with yer help getting applauded in background

..kinda.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?