Friday, January 27, 2006

 

Work thoughts on thoughts on work

Worked nine hours yesterday (6:30 am--3:30 pm), in order to leave an hour early today. Flex time rocks.

Looking forward to relaxing at the river this weekend. My wife asked, "When do you not relax?" She has a point, but I think I just have a fantastic attitude about work. I do my job, and do it well, but when I leave, I don't think about it until I return the next day. This is the exact opposite of my last job (3 years ago now, wow) when I couldn't sleep because I was so worried about the next day, and when I did sleep I ground my teeth and my jaw ached every morning. It just wasn't worth it. I really enjoy my job, and find it interesting, but it's what I do during the week, and not all that I am. Two things I've come to realize about life and identity (Lauren, if you're reading this, take notes, because it definitely applies to folks in college):

(1) Your identity is not what you do as a job (unless you're job is just completely extreme, like televangalist, or special forces sniper). It's just what you do 40+ hours a week. Really, that's all it is. I don't mean that you don't enjoy your job, or are not passionate about it. Just that, there should be more to you than what you do. One reason getting fired can be so devastating sometimes is that if you tied your identity to your job, and suddenly you no longer have that job, who are you now?

(2) Your identity is not what you own. I see so many people (like my wife's father) commuting over an hour each way to go to work. Some commute over TWO hours. Each way. The reason is often because they can afford a larger home out in the suburbs. I consider commuting time as time working. If I didn't work, I wouldn't be doing the commute, so for people like my wife's father, the 1.5 hour commute makes it an 11-hour workday. That's nearly half of the entire day. Add in time for things you need to do to get ready to go to work (shaving, for instance) and it's another hour, making it exactly half the day. In the winter, that means every minute of daylight is spent either in the office or on a train. That's no way to live.


Take a moment this weekend to look at the sky. Take a deep breath. Stretch.

Comments:
Your first point is so spot on. How many times have you been at some social function and the first (occasionally second) question is "What do you do?" I've lost count of the number of times this has happened. While many people are simply curious, equally as many use it to size you up as to whether or not you're "worthy." My response to this question now is "film editor."

Your second point about commuting is one of the primary reasons why I'm changing jobs. An hour each way (1.5 hours if taking mass transit) to Alexandria was kicking my ass.
 
Your identity is not what you do as a job: It's practical advice, it makes sense, so why isn't it what I'm doing? Perhaps in the three years since your last job, you've matured into your role in life versus work? And maybe I'm not to that point yet. (I hope I'm mature, but I don't always see things through the eyes of older friends or my parents.)

I've become attached to this company and this office. It means a lot to me, and I'd hate to give it up. But I'm more tied to my field/career. Frankly, if I had to give up editing altogether, I don't know how happy I'd be.
 
Smacky ~ correction. flex time freakin' rocks!!! ;)

commute time need be factored into any job..to get the true cost vs. profit, yer absolutely right on this one.
 
Notes taken. Ironically, I had a conversation with my father that outlined pretty much that exact same thing less than a month ago.
 
You am not what you do and you am not what you own... but you am what you eat. Well, two out or three not bad. You words am true and bestow wisdom from great life experience. Truth am, some of us am not even what we appear to be. Me have confession to make. Me have been living lie and lying to all you at same time... me am not really what me say me am. Me not sure how to put this, but... me am bottle blue. Dang the gray hair!! Dang it!!! Oh, me am so ashamed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?