Monday, January 23, 2006

 

"Where are my clothes?" "In the garbage, which is where you belong."

I think I'm just tired this morning, but it feels like depression. I think I'm too Type B sometimes. My new freelance proofreader wrote me this morning and said he feels the manuscript I sent him may need more copyediting than proofreading, and my initial reaction was to take it personally and mutter "Fuck you, ass." It's a compendium of previously published articles from one of our journals, and the journal style differs slightly from our book style, but I still take it personally when someone points out something like that, even if he means it in a completely innocent manner.

I told him to mark the ones that bug him the most, but to leave the majority of them be. Dick.

I stayed up until midnight last night watching The Girl Hunters on Turner Classic Movies. The hook that pulled me in is that it's a Mike Hammer movie staring Micky Spillane as the lead character. In case you don't know, Micky Spillane is the author of the Mike Hammer novels. Beyond Stephen King making cameos in some of his movies, I can't recall another instance of an author staring in a film adaptation of one of his books. He wasn't bad in the role of the alcoholic former P.I. He got clubbed in the back of the head FOUR TIMES in the first 41 minutes of the film. Permanent brain damage, anyone? In one big fight near the end, he had promised the FBI guy that he wouldn't kill the Russian spy, so after they beat the crap out of each other, he takes a spike and a hammer and nails the spy's hand to the floor. Then he calls the FBI and tells them to come get the guy. Damn! He also figures out the woman he had been falling for is also a Russian spy, so he tells her he knows what she's been doing, knowing she'd grab the shotgun and try to kill him. But he's smart, so he had plugged the end of the shotgun with hard dirt. When she pulled the trigger, it backfired and blew her face off. They didn't show that part, but earlier in the movie he had commented that if it happened, they'd be picking up pieces of her face with needle-nose pliers. Not very subtle foreshadowing.


Comments:
Film noir rocks! Do you like Sam Spade and Philip Marlowe stuff too?
 
Would you like me to kill the proofreader? I also take things too personally, and I've found the best way to eliminate my knee-jerk reaction is to eliminate the problem altogether. (Kidding, kidding. Watch the FBI show up at my door thinking I'm a serial killer targeting proofreaders.)

As for the gun backfire, Mythbusters busted it a couple of episodes ago (see here). I have a love-hate relationship with Mythbusters because it takes some of the fun out of already implausible situations.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?