Friday, January 13, 2006

 

It's finally happened

So, Spike TV has the rights to rerun CSI, and they do, at least three times a day. I watched one of the episodes on Tuesday, about the man who liked to act like a baby, was given an LSD enema, and dove off the balcony. Last night on CBS, the episode was... the same one. I didn't realize Spike was all the way up to airing episodes from this season. How 'bout that?

My boss gave me a gift certificate to a book store, and yesterday I picked up The Magus, by John Fowles. I've been wanting to reread this novel since college. The ending is ambiguous, on purpose, so I don't suppose it will spoil it if I tell you that. I want to include this item I just found on www.fowlesbooks.com:

In response to a gentle letter from a New York lawyer, dying of cancer in a hospital, who said he very much wanted the couple to be reunited, Fowles wrote back, "Yes, they were." On the same day he got a "horrid" letter from an American woman who angrily demanded, "Why can't you say what you mean, and for God's sake, what happened in the end?" Fowles replied curtly: "They never saw each other again."

That's awesome.

While I'm at it, here's a link to The Random House list of the best English-language novels of the 20th Century (on which you'll find The Magus). How many have you read? (Damn, this seems familiar. Am I stealing an entry by Kate from six months ago???)

I've read... geez, I don't feel like counting. Fewer than you imagine someone with an M.A. in English would have read. I've seen movie versions of many of the ones I haven't read, though, if that counts.

Someone who helped compile that list has a crush on Joseph Conrad.


Comments:
After going through the list, I've read 14 out of the 100 novels listed (and I was a physics major in college, for the record). However, I've seen the film versions for many more of the books listed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?