Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

2006?!?

Back at work, facing a new year. I'm already deep into the Spring season of books, with one with the authors for revision, one back from production in layout, and one new one I received a week before Christmas. Just changed the plastic-coated wall calendar, so I'm all set!

Oh, click on the pics in the last two posts to see the large versions. Sorry if you have a slow connection.

And to answer De: We have two cats: Buzz and Madeline, brother and sister. We got them together as kittens from the shelter. Buzz is big, and enjoys toy mice and laying on my lap for 14 hours a day (if I would sit still long enough for him to do that). Maddie is the small one, perpetually barely larger than a kitty, yet eats more than her brother. She's what's known as the "bad one." She tries to chew electrical wires, knocks over glasses of water, and is likely to be found on the counter or in the sink, knowing she'll get yelled at but not caring. I still love that little monster though. You never lose your attraction for the bad girls.

Finally, a short rant: Why is it that a robot can build the most complex machines, such as a car, or go to Mars, but men still have to dig coal out of the ground in the same manner as has been done since pre-industrialized society? Also, the limitations of print media were made abundantly clear once again, as the front page of the Washington Post announced 12 Found Alive in W.Va. Coal Mine. And if it's true the company waited three hours to correct that impression, someone should pay. People's fathers, sons, and fiances were dead, and they were told they were alive.


Comments:
I have a feeling the mining unions probably put the kibosh on robot mining for fear of putting people out of work. And in West Virginia, jobs are already pretty scarce.
 
That is some crap about not correcting that people were dead. This is part of the reason that I absolutely hate the news.
 
Don't know if I want robots to do all the work. IRobot, anyone?

Amen, grrface..
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?