Sunday, September 11, 2005
Time warp barber shop
I have to tell you about where I got a haircut this past week. I drove into town about 9, and stopped at Lester's barbershop. One barber, one chair, get comfortable because there's gonna to be a wait.
Lester (his real name) graduated from barber college in 1959. I was the youngest person in the place by at least thirty years. Two people were ahead of me: a Vietnam vet followed by a World War II vet (it came up in conversation). The three calendars on the wall were the only proof that it was 2005, as opposed to, say, 1965. Even the radio was tuned to some time warp station I had never heard before (and out in the country the radio only gets three stations. Maybe barbers subscribe to "Timeless Classics" satellite radio?)
Each person was in the chair exactly thirty minutes, regardless of amount (or lack) of hair on the man's head. This is a documented fact, and is utterly astounding.
Lester (his real name) graduated from barber college in 1959. I was the youngest person in the place by at least thirty years. Two people were ahead of me: a Vietnam vet followed by a World War II vet (it came up in conversation). The three calendars on the wall were the only proof that it was 2005, as opposed to, say, 1965. Even the radio was tuned to some time warp station I had never heard before (and out in the country the radio only gets three stations. Maybe barbers subscribe to "Timeless Classics" satellite radio?)
Each person was in the chair exactly thirty minutes, regardless of amount (or lack) of hair on the man's head. This is a documented fact, and is utterly astounding.

