Monday, September 26, 2005

 

Productive weekend with flashbacks

The training session on Friday was actually interesting, and the weather was beautiful for the journey to my folks' place after. We went to dinner and caught up. Saturday morning my father and I went to visit my grandmother (his mother). She's not doing too well, but considering her age, I don't expect her to get any better, so it's a good idea to see her whenever possible. Then we met up with my mother for lunch. I hit the road not too long after that. They had a busy day planned picking tile for the bathroom and such. I arrived home up north just before six. I don't know who was more surprised and excited to see me, my wife or our dog. The dog probably had the edge in the excitement department. Laura said the dog spent most of the day lying by the door looking out the window for me. We (my wife and I ) had a nice dinner and (all of us, including the dog and cats) watched a movie. (I already forgot the movie completely.)

Oh, during the day on Saturday, my wife went with a bunch of our neighbors to the anti-war protests in DC. She got pictures of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, and saw someone from the cast of CSI. The next day the supporters of the war held their own rally. I think it said 400 people came, rather than the 20,000 predicted by the organizers. It was your basic "You don't speak for me!" rally. Sunday's rally, and it's lack of participants, demonstrates two things: (1) There is a faulty logic that concludes that if people are opposed to the war, they don't support the troops. I wish someone famous could eloquently explain why that's not the case. AND (2) As I've said before, when people are opposed to something, they'll mobilize and march the streets, but when a group of people want things to remain as they are (continue the war), you can't drum up any numbers. A call to maintain the status quo just doesn't pull the folks out of their seats.

Sunday I zipped over to the other house and mowed the lawn and raked leaves. We had four realtors call and get the code for the lockbox to show the house. Ran a few more errands, did a few more chores, and still had time for a nap before we had dinner.

So, over the course of 3 days and about 600 miles, I got quite a bit accomplished. I also discovered a few old CDs of mine at my parents' place, so on the 3.5 hour ride back home, I listened to Cibo Matto's Super Relax, (the extended CD single of "Sugar Water"), Pink Floyd's Animals (talk about a college flashback!), Prefab Sprout's Jordan: The Comeback (Man, I loved- loved-loved that CD once upon a time), and the debut CD from Suede (I still think that one is too whiney sounding. It won't get played again anytime soon).

Comments:
It totally sucks that your cause is pointless unless a celebrity is backing it, too.
 
You can bleat and bleat all you want, but it takes the bell of a celebrity to get the sheeple to follow. Problem is... sometimes bell am hanging on celebrity who thinks it GOOD idea to walk up ramp into that building that smells like blood.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?